When The Party's Over

BELLA'S TRUCK                                       A large red bow hangs from the new stereo in the dashboard

BELLA'S TRUCK                                      
A large red bow hangs from the new stereo in the dashboard. Edward drives in silence. Bella studies him as Jane sits in the back, refusing to open her mouth for the rest of the night. "You guys, please say something," Bella exclaims, fed up with their silence. Jane rolls her eyes and lays down on the back of the Chevy truck. "What do you want me to say," Edward asks through gritted teeth. His hand tightens around the wheel. "That I'm a klutz. That I should have been more careful," she replies, tearing up.                            

Edward's grip tightens on the steering wheel. "You got a paper cut. Normal people get paper cuts. And a normal boyfriend wouldn't have flung you into a stack of plates. A normal boyfriend wouldn't have had to fight the urge to kill you."        

"Stop. I don't want normal, I want you," she replies, shaking her head. Edward doesn't respond, he just pulls the truck into the Swan residence. Jane has fallen asleep in the backseat.

THE SWAN HOUSE
The truck stops in the driveway. "You can't protect me from everything. Something's going to separate us - accident, illness, old age... as long as I'm human," Bella whispers. "That's your solution? Me ending your life," Edward responds, appalled by her statements. "Your giving me forever," she replies, staring into his eyes.

Edward faces forward again, tormented. His jaw tightens as his mind works. Bella reaches for his pale hand. "Carlisle told me how you feel, about my soul, but I don't believe that," she whispers sincerely, but he subtly moves his hand away from hers. Jane stirs in the backseat. Her eyes opens. Edward takes notice. "You two should go in. It's late."

Edward climbs out the red truck. "Is he still upset," Jane asks, shoving her head in between the passenger and driver seat. Her cousin nods her head, saddened. This causes her to frown at Bella's pain. Instantly, Edward opens the passenger side door for his girlfriend. Bella climbs out her truck as he looks down at her face. His face softens as he takes it in, putting a cold hand on her cheek.

Still frowning, Jane watches them from her spot inside the car. They talk for a while before they say goodbye with one last kiss. Bella walks inside the house, leaving Jane and Edward together. He quickly takes notice of Jane still inside the car and rushes to open the door for her. She steps outside and looks up at him, knitting her eyebrows. "Edward," she calls for him. He turns his face away from hers, focusing on anything else.

".. You can't be upset with her. I know that her wanting to be immortal is fucking," Jane throws her hands up into the air, " insane, but my cousin loves you. I know that."

Edward looks at her and grabs her hand, holding it in his. He begins to rub his thumb over her knuckles. "I'm sorry, Jane," he whispers. His face darkens with sadness. "You don't have to-," before she can finish her thought, he disappears into thin air. Her hair flies in her face as he zooms into the woods behind Charlie's house.