𝙴𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝟷|𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚘 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞

Win Metawin

"Guys, tomorrow is my birthday and I want all of you to come to our house for dinner."

Sky's eyes lit up at the mention of her 18th birthday that she has been raving on for a week; marking it as an important time in her life because she'd be able to find her mate. This is a usual conversation starter with my girlfriends because of the fact that they are werewolves.

She told me once that werewolves spend half of their lives looking for their mate, and the other half of their lives are spending it with their mate. In human terms, soulmate. And I have found this to be true not only because some werewolf mentioned it to me - but simply because I have seen this relationship which existed when I was still young.

I remembered clearly how my Dad used to tease my Mom so much that she'd turn into a bright red, and casually give my Dad some death glares. It was too cheesy and disgusting at that time because I have never really grasped the meaning of being in love, and now that I think about it, I know that I'd love to have a relationship like theirs, imperfect yet pure.

As a child living with both of his parents in one roof, eating on the same table, watching some flicks on the TV with our own bowls of popcorn was heaven. To grow up being able to feel the warmth and love of whom you hold so dearly in your heart - until 5 years ago. A life which had been full of bliss changed south dramatically because of one fateful night - a night that no wife and child would even dream of.

The deafening sound of the police sirens stirred me up from my deep slumber making me groan and clutch unto my bolster tightly. It wouldn't have mattered actually if only I didn't direct my attention to the blaring lights that were just outside my window.

They say that curiosity kills the cat, if it was true then I would have died a long time ago for sticking my nose into places that it shouldn't be but this time. I was drawn to peek out on that small opening in my wall with fitted glass after tossing relentlessly. Both of my feet were planted on the cold floor before I wore my specs from the bedside table. Steadily, I pressed my face into the glass that separates me from the outside and my eyes landed on a petite woman.

There were unexplainable emotions coursing through my system as I scurried downstairs - praying to the Moon Goddess silently that whatever thoughts I have at that moment was wrong. That it wasn't happening until I reached the steps outside of our home and into the pavement, not paying attention to the coldness beneath my foot and the hard beating of my heart against my chest.

"Mom? What's happening?"

My mother's frail figure jolted from the sudden voice from behind her before she turned around and our gazes met. The smile that was plastered on her beautiful face was sweet and full of love - but there was a hint of sadness, longing, and pain that marred her smile. Tears passed through her already wet lashes and unto her cheeks making my stomach churn and my heart sank slowly.

"Hey pup, what are you doing here outside? Go back to sleep, you still have school tomorrow."

"What happened?"

My voice quavered and the muscles on my chin shook slightly while I bit my bottom lip - thinking that if I don't, my emotions would flow out of my system in the form of my tears. Mom's wide and mellow hazel eyes were staring straight into my soul as I felt the weight of her hands on both sides of my shoulder. I was rooted on the spot waiting for her to say something and break the silence between us despite the sound of the sirens - and before I could even register what was happening, my own eyes betrayed me.

"Pup, some college students were having fun at a local bar and they went home intoxicated by alcohol."

My chest tightened and regret started to creep on my whole body as I listened to every word that rolled out of her tongue. And for a moment, I wished that I was in my room right now and covering myself with my soft duvet as I rocked myself to sleep. Sleeping soundly and hoped that these were also just a nightmare that I'd be able to wake up from - that this wasn't happening.