A LEAFLESS TREE

jahseh

i stepped outside of that hell, inhaling the fresh air and looking around at the free world, as it was so bright and colorful, so alive and vibrant.

but i was leaving something behind, a piece of my heart.

i got into my mothers car, and sat back in the seat, sighing softly, because no matter how good it feels to be free, half of me is still locked up- the best of me isn't free.

"hi baby!" my mom cheered, and i smiled at her weakly. "hey ma."

"i missed you! you look so sad for someone that's finally free." she teased, glancing at me before she began to drive away from the prison.

i shook my head, looking at my cold, dead phone in my hands. "nah, i'm happy. i just gotta get used to this, i been so used to those same prison walls.."

"i know baby, i know. you'll get used to being free soon, don't worry." she assured me, and i nodded quietly, looking out the window and watching the trees and buildings pass.

i just wish i didn't have to leave that girl alone, she brought out the best in me, and now she's all by herself.

...

"i wanna do something crazy." i said, sitting down in the seat.

"like what?" he asked, gathering his things behind me.

"i'm tryna shave my brows and dye my dreads." i said calmly, looking down at my phone and responding to a text stokeley sent me.

"why?" my barber asked, covering me and spinning my chair around.

"i wanna be different.. ugly." i said, shrugging, and he laughed before shrugging also and getting to work.

"that's a first." he said, tilting my chin up and beginning to shave off my eyebrows.

grey hair and an eyebrowless face later, i got into the passenger seat of stokeley's car, who looked at me like i was some type of alien.

well in his defense, i definitely look like one.

i burst out in laughter, shaking my head. "don't ask." i said, and he backed out of the parking space, shrugging his shoulders.

"i wasn't gonna," he laughed, "where are we going next?" he asked, and i paused before i spoke.

"the tattoo parlor."

stokeley glanced at me, raising and eyebrow. "who you doing all this shit for? shaving ya eyebrows and getting new tats?"

i shook my head, laughing. "the eyebrows was just a personal thing, i did it for myself. but i think i got a tattoo in mind." i said, looking out the window.

"which is..?" he asked as he took a turn, with confusion in his voice, and i shook my head.

"i'll surprise you with it." i said, smiling at him.

i went back to my gaze out the window while stokeley ranted on about how he linked kaya and she let him fuck, which was actually pretty funny to me.

the whole time we were locked up, she was dubbing the nigga, telling him he had no chance with her, but barely two weeks after we got out, and let the nigga knock it down.

crazy.

"i mean, was it a good kill?" i asked, glancing at him. he rolled his eyes up to the back of his head, making me burst out in laughter.

"son, i was drowning, i wanted to cry after cause i felt like she was gonna leave me." he exaggerated, making me burst out in laughter.

"it ain't funny, when ya little doll gets out and you hit that, you'll be crying too." he said, making me roll my eyes at him.

"you talkin' bout aracely?" i asked, raising an eyebr- okay, i don't have eyebrows but like the skin there, i raised it.

he smirked, nodding his head, and i shook mine. "nah, i'm not even on that type of timing. she the type of girl you gotta wife first, fuck later. she too good for anything less." i said, feeling my heart ache at the thought of her.

stokeley glanced at me, before facing the road again, letting out a little sigh while he smirked. "what'd that girl do to you, vro? she got you simping."

i laughed, rolling my eyes and shaking my head. "she just different, you know? she gave me something to be happy about while i was in hell." i said, leaning my head against the window.

he nodded, staying quiet, which i was slightly grateful for, because i didn't really wanna keep talking about her. i couldn't help but wonder what she was doing now, or who might've been moved into her cell, or how she was feeling right now.

i clenched my jaw ate the thought of any other nigga getting moved into her cell, invading her privacy or trying to make any moves at her, and had to keep reminding myself that she was a tough girl and wouldn't let any of that shit fly by in order to calm myself down.

i let out a sigh as we pulled up to the tattoo parlor, and stokeley parked the car. "at least tell me where you're getting this surprise tattoo." he said, as i unbuckled my seatbelt.

i paused for a moment, thinking for myself because i hadn't even thought of it, and then flashed a smile. "right here." i said, pointing to my forehead, right in between where my eyebrows used to be.

he shook his head, laughing at me. "get out of my car, and it better not be no crazy shit." he said, and i smirked, getting out and making my way inside the parlor.

once my wait was over i got into the seat, and the guy sat beside me, getting his stuff ready. "whatcha want, kid?" he asked, and i smirked a little.

"a leafless tree."

~