Chapter 16 - The Best Laid Plans

As Laurent and Larry drove out of Hudson Valley back towards the city, a comfortable quiet percolated between them. Soft music played in the background on the vehicle's stereo system. They'd exchanged light conversation about their visit as they drove along, laughing at moments they'd found funny.  All in all, it was a most enjoyable day and a pleasant drive back towards home.

They'd been driving for close to an hour and a half now.  Though traffic had picked up a bit, it had still been a comfortable and uneventful drive.  Laurent was in deep thought as he drove, with Larry lightly dozing at his side with his head resting comfortably on Laurent's shoulder.

Laurent looked over at Larry and smiled. He planted a light kiss on his forehead. They were within a couple miles of the Brooklyn Bridge. "Hey, sleepyhead," Laurent whispered close to Larry's ear. He chuckled. "You awake?"

Larry stirred slightly, responding with a soft, lazy chuckle. He moaned. "Yeah, I'm awake." He stretched his arms and legs a bit.  "Are we there yet?"

They both chuckled.

"You want me to take you to your car, or do you want to go to the condo with me for a while?"

Larry sat up looking around. "Where are we?"

"We're almost home, baby."

Larry didn't want his day with Laurent to end just yet.  "I want to go with you to the condo," he said, looking up into Laurent's eyes, smiling.  He playfully nuzzled Laurent's neck, then gave him a quick peck on his cheek.

Laurent smiled. "Okay," he whispered close to Larry's ear.  "Excellent choice.  The condo it is."

Larry smiled, returning his head to Laurent's shoulder. Before long, they were crossing the bridge into New Jersey.

A little under half an hour later, Laurent was pulling his rental into the parking area of his friend's condo building. Larry stirred again once the vehicle came to a halt. "We're home, baby," he whispered close to Larry's ear.

"Mmm, home," Larry said on a soft moan. "I like the sound of that."

Laurent chuckled. The two gathered their belongings, left and locked the vehicle behind them before they headed into the building. It was still early at around 5:50 p.m. when they entered the condo, embraced in each other's arms.  Once inside, "Are you hungry, baby?"

"No, thanks," Larry replied as he started to head to the restroom to freshen up. "Celeste's lasagna was pretty filling and delicious. I'm still full. I could fix you something.  You're hungry?"

"Only for you, baby," Laurent said, smiling, giving Larry a playful wink. "No thanks. I'm good."

Larry chuckled. "Okay.  I'll be back.  I'm going to freshen up."

"Okay."  Laurent headed to the kitchen where he retrieved a bottled water from the fridge and later plopped down on the sofa in the living room to drink his water. He then headed to the guest bathroom where he relieved himself, and he too freshened up, after which he returned to the living room, now dressed in fresh sweatpants, and a loose t-shirt lounging on the couch absently watching TV.

Larry, who'd brought a change of clothes with him that morning, just in case, changed into a similar outfit of dark sweatpants and a light t-shirt before joining Laurent on the couch. The two sat, curled up on the sofa, embraced in each other's arms.

"How do you feel, baby?"

Larry leaned his head against Laurent's chest. "Amazing." He looked up at Laurent, smiling as he gave him a soft peck on the chin. "I enjoyed meeting your friends, the drive, everything.  And I got to spend it with you.  Thank you for such a wonderful day."