2

"We are kneeling at the river's edge and tempting
All the steps to follow closer right behind
Is it only when you feel a part is empty
That it's gnawing at the corners of your mind
I will ask you for mercy
I will come to you blind
What you'll see is the worst me
Not the last of my kind

In the muddy water we're falling
In the muddy water we're crawling
Holds me down
Hold me now
Sold me out
In the muddy waters we're falling
It is not clear why we choose the fire pathway
Where we end is not the way that we had planned
All the spirits gather 'round like it's our last day
To get across you know we'll have to raise the sand
I will ask you for mercy"

"Why are you being so depressing today?" Clarke's voice interrupted my singing.

"Because, in case you haven't realized. I'm going on trial tomorrow. And I've already told you, they will deem me guilty." I spat back. Making my way over to the vent.

"You don't know that."

"Yes I do."

"You never told me what you did. So how do you know you'll get floated?"

"Because of that exact reason. Look, can we stop discussing my death tomorrow. I'd really like to, well, actually be in solitary for a few hours." I could hear her sigh as she shuffled away from the vent. She didn't respond, but I knew she had moved from the vent.

I bent my knees and wrapped my muscular arms around them, my red hair falling over my pale skin as I rested my head on my knees. My green eyes shutting as I breathed in the oxygen.

Tomorrow would be the last day I would get to experience this. The damning grey walls I had grown to love and hate, the hard bed I rarely used in the far corner from where I sat, the door that held bars over a sealed up window and the humorous word 'step' just beneath it, the tally marks that covered an entire wall plus some extra, the cool oxygen hitting my face. After tomorrow, after my eighteenth birthday, I would no longer be here. On the Ark.

The Ark. The saving grace from when earth was bombed 97 years ago, now it was my prison. I just wished that my great-grandchildren would be able to see it. But they won't because I'll never have kids. I won't get the chance. Personally, I think that's a good thing. The Ark is not a place for a child to grow up on, no matter what the Council and Chancellor say.

_______•*•*•*•*•_______

I was in the middle of my workout when I heard Clarke rambling. I could hear the small whisper of her voice as I wiped the sweat from my forehead off with my tank top. My messily done ponytail braid shifted from one side of my back to the other as I walked, floating across my back. Just like how I would be doing in a few hours when they come to take me for my trial.

"It's so beautiful. In this moment, I'm not stranded in space."

"Clarke," I interrupted, "you're doing it again." I heard her let out a shriek when she realized she'd been caught.

"Are you serious! Now I have to restart!" I could hear the anger in her voice as she moved towards the vent I was now sitting next to.

"Wow, sorry. Didn't realize you had a play coming up." I snapped, I felt the slightest bit bad for snapping at her. But she did it first. I heard her sigh and I knew what to expect next.

"How you holding up?" I rolled my eyes, typical.

"You know. Just stuck in here." I could hear her eyes rolling from here.

"Just a few more hours and I won't have to worry about your damn sarcasm." I knew she was joking but it brought me back to reality.

Reality,  it really sucked.