44

We just sat there staring at each other through the screen until I cleared my throat and brought us out of our daze.

"I need to know, and I want you to know that there's nothing against you, but. Are you my actual father?" He seemed relieved that was my first question.

"Yes, and when I come down in four days, we'll do a DNA test if you'd like." I nodded.

"Please, I just, it's weird. I have so many more questions, if you don't mind."

"That's why we are doing this, and if you have anymore when I come down we can most definitely have a sit down." He smiled at me and I returned it.

"H-How'd you know that I was your um..." I trailed off the word still foreign to my mouth.

"How'd I know you were my daughter?" I nodded. "Well, I had my suspicion when you walked into screen during the meeting. You look just like your mother, that's when I first had a suspicion." I felt my heart skip when he said I looked like my mother. I wonder where she is. "Then when you were speaking, you commanded the attention of the room whether you wanted to or not. Plus, us Kanes have a natural gift for leadership." I chuckled as he sent me a wink.

"What happened? How did I get separated from you?" I wasn't able to bring myself to ask how the Shadow had gotten hold off me. The old man's face flashed through my eyes as he died.

"You were healthy, so beautifully healthy. The head doctor at the time took you into a back room and came back saying that you were going through basic tests with his assistant at the time. Your mother and I didn't think anything of it until you were back there for more than thirty minutes. The doctor had gone to help with another patient who needed urgent medical attention. So I went into the back room." His eyes got wet and I wanted to hold his hand but I couldn't. "And I saw someone turning the corner and leaving, I didn't think to follow them as I stared down at the blanket left on a table. You were gone, and I was frozen. Your mother cried out for me, and I couldn't move. She called for me again and I ran into the main room to see the doctor's assistant backing her into a corner." My eyes welled up as I knew where this was going. My nose twitched as I held back the tears that shone in my eyes.

"I wasn't fast enough. By the time I had pulled my gun and fired, the assistant had killed her. A surgical knife to the carotid artery. She, she looked into my eyes as she died and told me to find you. And to hold onto you and love you. The guards arrived shortly after I had called in through walkie. Persphyni, your mother loved you so much and I failed her and you by not being able to find you." He looked down rubbing his palms into his eyes.

"I'm so sorry." I could hear the crack in his voice, the pure sorrow and emotion made my lip quiver as I choked back the sob.

"Hey, you found me now." He looked up and I gave him a wobbly smile. "We can still be the family mom wanted." He smiled too as tears trailed down his cheeks.

"What was her name?" He laughed a bit and wiped his eyes.

"Her name was Kore Adalei-Kane." I laughed too, my eyes filling with more tears as I thought about my mother.

"Well it's a good thing I love Greek Mythology." He chuckled and wiped his eyes one more time.

"Yeah." We looked at each other smiling.

"I have a question, and if you aren't comfortable then you don't have to tell me. But where were you?" His voice was soft as he asked the question.

"I'm not sure. I was moved into two rooms, each one lasting six years, then I went into solitary. I-I don't feel like this conversation should be said over a comm, when you get down here we will have that sit down and I can explain. Just, promise me you won't look at me differently." I blinked back the tears as I got serious.

"After waiting this long to finally meet my daughter, and knowing it was my fault she was taken, I couldn't look at you any differently." He put a hand on the screen and I hesitantly placed mine on top of it.

"Does this mean I have to change my name?" He laughed as I chuckled. But I was dead serious.

"I think Persphyni Atlys is perfect. And it is up to you whether or not you add Kane to the end of it." I smiled and nodded.

"Hey, dad, I have to go." I could hear the campers getting rowdy, "duty calls." We shared a smile.

"Four days." He spoke as I got ready to shut communication off.

"I'll see you then." My smirk was the last thing he saw as I closed down the screen. Sitting back and rubbing my temples. My eyes were still blurry as I cleared any traces of tears from them.

Today was the closest I came to tears, my head pounding as I forced them back. I placed the headset down on the table gently and stood from the chair. I bounced in place, shaking out my arms and rolling my head side to side.

I think a bonfire is in order for tonight.