First "Official" Date

(Pic: El's date outfit, minus the glasses and the other stuff)

"So, when is your date with Mike?" Max asked. She sat down on the edge of the bed and poked at El's leg teasingly.

"Tonight. I don't know what we are doing. He said it is a 'surprise'," El said, making quotes with her fingers on the word surprise. Max laughed.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. He adores you," Max said and gave her a smile.

"Adores?"

"He cares about you a lot and wants to make you happy."

El blushed and looked down at her hands with a smile.

"Max, what is love?" El asked. Max's head snapped back in El's direction and her eyes went wide. Then a small smirk formed on her face.

"It's hard to explain. People show love in different ways. Why?"

"I just...when we were at the mall a few weeks ago, I heard a boy say 'I love you' and the girl beside him kissed him and said 'I love you too' and I wanted to know what it meant..." El said. She flushed red and continued to look at her hands. She was embarrassed for knowing so little about the world.

"I don't know much about it. I just know that...it's special. And it can make you do crazy things," Max said. She let out a sigh and looked down at the bedding. After a couple of minutes, Max jumped up off her bed.

"What are you doing?" El asked.

"Let's get you a cute outfit for your date," Max said. She grabbed El's hand and pulled her up off the bed, opening her closet up.

"Oh I don't know-"

"Here, try this," Max said. She held up an adorable light purple sweater with balloon sleeves and tossed it on the bed. Then she went over to the dresser and dug through a drawer.

"And these," she added. She laid out a pair of stretch waist shorts that were cuffed at the bottom, with little white flowers on them. El went over to the bed and ran the fabric between her fingers. She went in the bathroom and put on the outfit. When she came out of the bathroom, Max smiled at her.

"That looks so cute!" She said, clapping with excitement. El wandered over to the mirror hanging on the back of Max's bedroom door.

"Pretty," she said to herself, looking over the outfit. She turned around to Max.

"This isn't something I'd expect you to wear. It doesn't look like...you," El said, remembering what Max talked to her about at the mall about discovering personal likes and interests.

"Sometimes I like girly things," Max said and giggled. She smiled and pulled a small zip up bag out of her top dresser drawer. She opened it and pulled out mascara, eyeshadow, and some blush.

"Can I do your hair? And makeup?" Max asked. El kept looking at herself in the mirror for a second before nodding slowly. Max dragged her over to her desk and sat her down in the chair. She combed El's hair and then pulled the top layer back and up, using a scrunchie that matched the sweater to put it up into a high ponytail.

"Half up, half down. It's the new fashion," Max said giggled a bit.

"Thank you, Max," El said softly.