Vacation Pt. 3

(Warning: mature themes)

El woke up at about 3am, the thunder rumbling loudly. She felt her body jolt each time it sounded; she swore it was so loud it shook the house. She cautiously wiggled her way out of Mike's arms and put on some underwear and the oversized t-shirt she had discarded hours ago. She walked out to the living room, flinching at the way the lightning flashed and lit up the room like it was the middle of the day. She jumped and covered her mouth so she didn't scream when she saw a figure at the island in the kitchen.

"Max? What are you doing up?" El asked.

"Couldn't sleep. You?"

"Me neither. The uh...the storm woke me up," El said. Max nodded and El walked over and sat beside her to her right on a stool.

"Couldn't be bothered to put pants on?" Max asked with a slight laugh.

"I put underwear on. Besides, this shirt is long enough," El giggled. Max got up and grabbed the teapot from the stove; she was boiling water. She got out another mug and dropped a teabag in it, then poured water into both mugs.

"Here," Max said. El thanked her and flinched at the thunder and lightning.

"So uh...how are you and Lucas?" El asked.

"Great! Like I told you when we first saw each other at the airport, long distance is hard. But we made it work, and we come back stronger every time we see each other," Max said.

"I could never do long distance with Mike. I need him..." El said. And she wasn't lying. Being without Mike was an unimaginable pain. Max put an arm around her best friend's shoulders.

"Where would you and I be without our guys?" She giggled. The girls giggled together and sipped their tea.

"El...baby are you alright? What are you doing up?" Mike asked sleepily, emerging into the living room. At least he'd remembered to put on boxers before he came out.

"The storm woke me up...I was scared but you were sleeping so peacefully so I came out here and Max was awake so we're having tea," she said. Mike nodded and Max and El turned back to the counter. El smiled when she felt Mike's arms snake around her waist and his chin resting on her shoulder.

"Guys? What are you all doing up?" Lucas asked, also coming into the living room.

"Hey now it's a party!" Max said. Lucas came over and put his arms around her and everyone laughed.

"I wish we could all be here together like this forever," El said. They nodded in agreement. It was safe, refreshing, and comforting.

"We could always do a mountain lodge vacation in December," Lucas suggested and they all laughed, but they definitely wanted to.

It was silent again, and the two couples stood there, enjoying each other's company. El yawned and leaned back against Mike.

"I'm tired," she mumbled.

"Come on, let's go back to bed," Mike said. She nodded and climbed off her stool.

"See you in the morning," El said.

"Night guys," Lucas said. He and Max followed, also deciding to go back to bed. Once the door was shut, El took her clothes back off and climbed into bed, Mike doing the same. El was still on edge from the storm, so as soon as Mike's body was under the blanket with her she snuggled up against him.

"I love you sweetheart," Mike said.

"I love you too baby," El said. He looked down at his girl as the lightning illuminated her face. He saw her eyes flinch a bit and he hugged her closer. The two fell asleep again, finally.