Scary Movie

Ever since Hopper died and the Byers had moved away, El was staying with the Wheelers. It was just what Mike had promised her when they'd first said goodbye years ago, before she defeated the demogorgon. She'd have her own bed and stay with them, getting to eat meals with them and spend all the time with him. He really had kept his promise after all.

"It's your night to pick the movie, El," Mike said gently. Nancy and Jonathan were sitting on the loveseat beside the sofa. El sat forward on the sofa, a blanket covering her lap. Max and Lucas were on the other end of the couch. They did this a couple nights a week; had a couple's movie night. Really, Nancy and Jonathan were only there to be like guardians. They rotated who's turn it was to pick a movie. Mike laid some tapes out on the table for El to look at: E.T., Beetlejuice, The Breakfast Club, The Outsiders, Labyrinth, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, Ghostbusters, and the Karate Kid. El had never even heard of any of them before, so she had to read the description for every single one.

"What do you guys want to watch?" El asked, looking around the room.

"No no it's your night to pick. You go ahead," Nancy said. El nodded and turned back to the selection of movies in front of her.

"Um...this one?" El said quizzically. She held up Nightmare on Elm Street.

"Are you sure? It's scaaaaaary," Max teased.

"I guess," El said, shrugging her shoulders. She sat back against the sofa again and Mike put in the tape. He came back over and sat down next to El, putting his arms around her. She snuggled up to his side and he kissed the top of her head.

El was getting bored as the movie went on. There were a couple jumpscares, but nothing that really frightened her too badly other than for a second. But then there was a scene where a person in the movie was being killed in real life, because of what was happening to them in their dream. El's grip tightened on Mike as her mind flashed back to the Mind Flayer. She whimpered a little bit and then, following the scene, there was a huge jump scare and she was done for. She screamed and jumped off the couch, running into her bedroom and shutting herself in her closet. She sunk down to the floor and started crying, making little whimpering noises like a puppy.

Mike looked at the others before getting up and stopping the movie while Nancy turned the lights on. He ran down the hall to her room and the others followed.

"Stay here," he said when they all tried to follow him into El's room. They all stopped and Mike went over to her closet door, opening it slowly.

"El?" He said softly, sinking to his knees in front of her. She had her knees drawn to her chest and was shaking like crazy. She lifted her head and revealed her tear stained face.

"Mike..." she whined. He held his arms out and she crawled into them and started crying.

"I'm here. It's okay," he said softly. He looked up at the others in the doorway of the room and nodded at them to go back to the living room. The others left and Nancy hesitated for a minute before nodding and leaving, shutting the door slightly behind her.

"It's just us now. What's wrong?" Mike asked softly, stroking her hair.

"I'm sorry. I had a flashback to all of that stuff with the mind flayer and I...I panicked..." she said.

"Don't be sorry," he said. She nodded and after a few minutes of silence he kissed her forehead.

"Do you want to go back out to the living room? We can pick another movie," Mike said.

"No. I just want to be with you," she said. Her voice was weak with fear and sadness and it broke Mike's heart.

"Alright. Why don't you stay here for a minute and get cozy and I'll go let them know. Then I'll come back and we'll cuddle up and read a book or something," Mike said. She looked up at him and nodded. The faintest of smiles teased the corners of her lips.

"Yea?" Mike said softly, nodding as if confirming that she said yes. She nodded again and giggled gently as Mike kissed her forehead. He helped her up and hesitated to let go of him as he went to talk to the others.

"I'll be right back, I promise," he said as he turned back to her, caressing her cheek.

"Okay," she whispered. She sat on the edge of the bed and Mike went downstairs. When he got down there, everyone stood up and looked at him expectantly.

"She uh...she doesn't want to come back out," Mike said.

"Why?" Lucas asked. He almost sounded annoyed. Max elbowed him and glared at him.

"She's just exhausted. She uh...she just wants to be with me right now..." Mike said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"What? It couldn't have been that sca-" Lucas started and Max elbowed him again.

"Ow what was that for?"

"She's our friend, Lucas. And she's been through a lot. If she's scared and tired and just wants to spend time with her boyfriend then we can respect that! There's plenty more movie nights!" Max hissed at Lucas.

"Okay okay. Well then we'll head out and we'll see you tomorrow. Night guys," Lucas said. He took Max's hand and Mike, Nancy, and Jonathan made sure they made it out to their car safely and then stood in the doorway until they were out of the driveway. They all went back inside and Jonathan locked the door.

"Okay guys, I'm going to go back to El. Goodnight," Mike said.

"Goodnight. And make sure to keep the door cracked," Nancy said. He nodded and went back to his room. El saw him and ran into his arms, wrapping her arms around his torso tightly.

"I'm here. You're okay...I'm here," Mike said gently, holding her against him tightly. She was still shaking a little bit.

"Hey, why don't we get comfy? I picked up a book I thought you might like," Mike said. She nodded and climbed into the bed and Mike took off his shirt and grabbed the book from his bag. He climbed into bed beside El, already wearing sweatpants.

"I grabbed a copy of The Handmaid's Tale," Mike said, setting it on his lap. (Yes the handmaids tale book came out in the 80s I was shocked too)

"Will you read it to me?" El asked, her face flushing read with embarrassment at asking her boyfriend to read to her.

"Of course," he said with a smile. He put an arm around her and kissed softly and then opened the book and started reading. El curled up as close to his side as she could, feeling comforted as she listened to her boyfriend's voice as he read her the story, the warmth of his body making her feel safe and at home.