15: Unexpected Visitors

"Krishnaa!!", Arjun screamed, running towards her, his voice drowned out in the chaos

The soldier, now furious, whipped her one more time. Arjun reached her and knelt down in front of her. He lifted her head to look at her.
Her forehead was bruised, her eyes were moist and she was biting her lip, trying to bear the excruciating pain.

Arjun gasped, looking at her.
The soldier was about to whip her again, but a strong, firm voice stopped him.
Arjun looked up to see the silhouette of a broad, tall man walk towards them. As he came closer, his face became clear. Ratan.
He stood near Krishnaa, staring down at her. Arjun glared at him and held Krishnaa's shoulders, protectively.

"Get up", Ratan ordered Krishnaa, his voice deadly calm. Arjun helped her stand, his hand on her shoulders supporting her trying not to touch her wounds. "What is your name?", Ratan asked her, in a threatening manner, his voice, low.
Krishnaa raised her head up to face him.
Arjun noticed Ratan looking shocked and.......scared? Worry flickered in his eyes for a moment, before he composed himself.
It was very subtle but Arjun's sharp eyes didn't miss it.

"Malini", Krishnaa replied confidently.
"Malini", he repeated slowly. He paused as if thinking about something. "I have guests visiting tomorrow and I want you to be at the palace", he said before walking away.
Guests? Who could it be? Who even visits Panchal anymore? And why would Ratan want Krishnaa? Thousands of questions were swirling in his mind. "Parth", Krishnaa whispered in pain. "Let's go".

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Krishnaa lay down on her side, feeling tired. Uma had been horrified when they had arrived and was quick to bandage her wounds. She had fussed over her for quite some time, before retiring to her room.

Krishnaa closed her eyes. She tried sleeping many times and even would have, if it weren't for Parth pacing her room like a caged tiger.
Krishnaa sighed. "Are you angry?", she asked in a soft voice while sitting up.
"Why did you get up, you need rest", Parth said with urgency.
"Answer me", Krishnaa replied calmly. Parth sighed and sat beside her. He ran his fingers through her hair, gently massaging her scalp. "Yes I am angry, but not at you. What you did wasn't wrong but you could have been seriously hurt. And Ratan. He wants you at the palace. It can be risky."
He remembered fear in Ratan's eyes. He tried connecting the dots but failed.

"Scared?", Krishnaa teased.
"Yes I am, but not for myself, for you". Parth was in no mood for jokes. Krishnaa held his hand in hers, lacing their fingers together. "You remember what you told me yesterday night. That this is the only way to help them. And now it is easier for us, the king himself wants us at the palace."

"But what about you. You came with me to Panchal and now you are badly hurt. I knew it would be dangerous but I still brought you here. It is all my fault", Parth chocked out.

Krishnaa sat up straighter, ignoring the pain which shot down her back.
"Parth. You didn't bring me here, I came here by my own choice. You knew it would be dangerous and so did I. I was aware of what I was walking into. I may not know about the world as much as you do but I do know what is dangerous and I can handle it", she stated firmly.
She was not pleased about Parth blaming himself. "What is done is done. Now focus on tomorrow. "

Parth nodded and planted a kiss on her forehead, followed by her eyelids, her cheeks, her nose and finally her lips. Krishnaa's hand cupped the back of his head as she deepened the kiss.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Arjun woke up to Krishnaa shaking him harshly. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Get up. We have to go".
"So early?", Parth whined.
"Yes", Krishnaa responded. "Now get up". Arjun rolled his eyes at her enthusiasm.

The palace was beautiful and majestic . But the person occupying it made it ugly and repulsive. They were standing in the courtroom, waiting for instructions when a loud voice boomed.

"All hail rajkumar Duryodhan and Angraj Karn."

In hearing their names, Arjun hid behind a pillar.
'Duryodhan and karn? What were they doing here?', Arjun thought.
They were known for their problematic tendencies, so their arrival didn't seem good.
Krishnaa was made to serve them food and drinks. Arjun saw Duryodhan and Karn's lust filled eyes following her. Karn even showed the audacity to grab her wrist.

Arjun clenched his fist, wanting to go there and punch him, but somehow controlled himself. "What is your name, beautiful?", he asked in a flirty manner. Arjun saw red. "Malini", Krishnaa replied sternly and pulled her out of his. Karn smirked, her feisty behavior must have made her seem more appealing to him.

Once all formalities were done, Ratan dismissed her, but instructed her not to leave the palace. She came upto Arjun and nudged him. "We will have see if we can find anything here?"

••••••••••••••••••••••••

"It is her!", Maharaj Ratan exclaimed.
"Are you sure?", an unfamiliar voice asked.
"Yes master", Ratan replied. "I could see fire in her eyes. Those were Yagyaseni's eyes. My niece is here. Drupad's daughter has arrived."
On hearing this, the other person laughed hysterically.