32: Decision

Arjun walked towards the courtroom eagerly

Arjun walked towards the courtroom eagerly. He hoped that Maharaj Chetan has made a positive decision. He entered the courtroom, all court members were seated on their asans and Maharaj was on his throne.

"Maharaj, I assume you have thought well about this, before taking any decision", Arjun spoke.
Maharaj Chetan stared at him with intensity that made Arjun uncomfortable. "Yes Rajkumar Arjun. I hope that you are well aware that you are just a Rajkumar who doesn't need to advise a Maharaj", he said, sounding offended.

'Why does he think that I am advising him?',Arjun wanted to roll his eyes at him, but controlled the urge to do so, before nodding humbly.
"And as for my decision Rajkumar, I have thought over your proposal multiple times and even discussed it with the council", he started.
Arjun took a deep breath.
"An alliance with Indraprasth will be very valuable, economically", he continued. "But I don't wish to limit this alliance only to a formal piece of paper."
"What do you mean, Maharaj?", Arjun interrupted causing the king to glare at him.
"What I mean is, I would like to offer my daughter's hand in marriage".

Arjun's heart dropped. This is exactly why he wasn't ready to take up this mission. It was common for a Maharaj or Rajkumar to marry during any expedition, for the sake of an alliance. But he didn't want to marry anyone else. He already rejected Ragini once, he didn't wish to handle anymore proposals. However, he composed himself.
"Maharaj, what is the need for marriage. An alliance would be formed anyways", Arjun reasoned, trying to convince Maharaj.
"It is necessary, Rajkumar. You never know, when friends become enemies. A marriage however is eternal", Maharaj Chetan commented.

Maharaj dismissed the court before Arjun could speak up.

               ••••••••••••••••••••••

Arjun was pacing in his room, restlessly. He wanted to write a letter to Krishnaa, tell her about what happened, but he didn't. She would persuade him, even manage to convince him to go ahead with this marriage for sake of Indraprasth, even if it breaks her own heart.

No. There was no way he would accept this. A marriage to another woman, and that too, when their marriage preparation are to shortly begin.......she would be devastated. No. He cannot do this to her. He even went against his mata's wishes so he could marry Krishnaa. There is not a single chance that he would accept this.

Without a second thought, he went to the king's chambers to let him know of his decision.

"So you have taken a decision?", he asked, eagerly, expecting a 'yes' for an answer.
"Yes Maharaj, I donot take much time", Arjun taunted. Maharaj Chetan frowned at his words.

"Your decision?", he asked.
"I don't accept this marriage proposal", Arjun declared. "You maynot be aware but my marriage has already been fixed".
"I have no issues with it. As a Rajkumar, you can marry multiple times. My daughter will have no issues with having a co-wife".
Arjun mentally groaned. Why doesn't he get his point.
"You or your daughter may not have a problem with it. But this is not about her", Arjun stated, firmly. "This is about me and my would-be-wife. She would not accept my second marriage."

Maharaj Chetan frowned. He felt insulted. Rajkumar Arjun, being a mere Rajkumar had the audacity to decline his offer and that too for another woman. He couldn't digest this. He had made the proposal in the courtroom, in the presence of his ministers. And now announcing that the marriage won't happen as the Rajkumar disagrees, would be a threat to his dignity.

His daughter, his precious princess, had already considered Rajkumar Arjun as her groom. Telling her that she has been rejected by the man who she is dreaming of, would break her heart. He has to think fast. He has to give Arjun an ultimatum.
"Rajkumar Arjun. I hope you have thought of this well. If there is no marriage, there will be no alliance".

"I assume you understand the consequence of your decision".

"I do Maharaj, I very well do", Arjun stated, angrily. "But my decision is final. I will not marry your daughter".

He turned around and left the palace, without looking back.