17: The Choice

Arjun knew that he was in trouble as soon as he placed a foot in his palace

Arjun knew that he was in trouble as soon as he placed a foot in his palace. He had not told anyone about his whereabouts, just left a note, informing everyone of his departure. His brothers, all gave him sympathetic looks as he walked passed them. A daasi came upto him and informed him that Maharani Kunti had ordered him to be present in her chambers. As he approached his mata's chambers, he could literally feel her rage. He gulped.

"Mata-"
"Where were you?", Kunti asked, her voice like the calm before the storm.
"Mata, I am sorry, I didn't mean to just leave-"
"But you did".
"But Mata-"
"No Arjun. No more excuses. You have behaved very irresponsibly, just leaving without informing anyone. Did you know how worried I was?"

Arjun opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted.
"Now, I don't want to hear anything. I have taken a decision and you have to follow it. You are going to get married soon", Kunti ordered

"I have already chosen a bride for you, so no arguments. Rajkumari Ragini shall be arriving tomorrow to meet us".

                   •••••••••••••••••••••••

A palkhi was set down at the gates of the palace of Indraprasth. Out stepped a beautiful young lady. A raja and rani smiled proudly at their daughter as she walked upto Maharani Kunti and touched her feet. Kunti blessed Kashi's rajkumari wholeheartedly and welcomed her in the palace.

Once all formalities were done, Kunti led them inside to meet Arjun.

Arjun was feeling restless. He didn't know what to do. How was he supposed to marry Rajkumari Ragini, when his heart and soul were elsewhere. Nakul entered his chambers and looked at him sadly. "Bhratashree", he whispered. "Rajkumari Ragini has arrived. Arjun bit his lip and nodded.

"Arjun", Kunti said sweetly. "Meet Ragini".
Ragini looked down and smiled, blushing.
Arjun couldn't help it. His mind went to the forest, where he had met Krishnaa. Her fiery, bold personality, which had attracted him immediately.

It wasn't that Ragini lacked anything. She was beautiful and kindhearted. She behaved respectfully and was a dignified woman. But she wasn't her. Arjun knew he shouldn't compare them . But he wasn't. There wasn't any scope for comparison. He wanted Krishnaa. If it wasn't her, then it was no one, not even someone like her.

Kunti suggested that they should have their meal, before any further discussion. Everyone agreed and headed towards the dining room. All throughout lunch, Kunti was talking and behaving as if they were already married. Arjun and Nakul looked at each other, having a silent conversation. Bheem, who was sitting next to Nakul noticed this and nudged him. Nakul whispered something in his ear and the latter too gave Arjun a sympathetic look.

After lunch, Kunti suggested to give Arjun and Ragini some time alone and sent them to the gardens. The royal gardens of the palace, had it's own magic. The gardens were huge, so showing Ragini around would take some time.

The whole time, Ragini was blushing and stealing glances. She took no initiative to start a conversation or tell anything about herself and it left Arjun blank and confused. They reached a place in the garden which was surrounded by flower bearing trees and shrubs with  a pond near it. In the center, a small platform was built, covered by velvet cloth and cushions. On the platform was a veena. Arjun's favorite instrument.

"You play the veena, right?", Ragini asked. Arjun nodded. "Will you play something for me?"
Arjun frowned at the request but agreed. He sat down with his hands on the veena, wondering what to play.

Usually, he was very regular with his veena practice but over the past few months, he spent his time creating, perfecting and practicing just one tune. The tune he had created for Krishnaa. He had wanted to play it to her when she would arrive at the palace as his wife.

He shook his head. He cannot play that tune. It was for Krishnaa. Just for her. Arjun finally decided to play a tune which was common and comparatively simpler. It was slightly clumsy, but Ragini didn't seem to notice.

         ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The sun was about to set but Arjun stayed in the garden, staring at the horizon. Ragini had retired to the palace some time back. Nakul walked upto him and placed a hand on his shoulder and sat down beside him.

"You know Nakul, I had dreamt of a life with her. Marrying her, having children, growing old...........experiencing life together."
Nakul nodded. "I know. But you know Mata. How stubborn she is. Once she has her mind set on something, she will get it."
"Hm".
"So now, what are you planning on doing?" Arjun thought for a while. On one side there was Krishnaa. The one he loved. The woman of his dreams. And then there was his Mata. The woman who raised him.
How to choose anyone? He felt torn between the two. He took a deep breath, taking one of the most difficult decisions of his life.

"Mata wants me to marry Ragini. So that's what I will do. I am ready to marry the rajkumari".

 I am ready to marry the rajkumari"