18: The Condition

"What?!", Nakul exclaimed

"What?!", Nakul exclaimed. "No. You are doing no such thing. You won't take such an extreme step. Will you really be able to forget your love?"
"Nakul. I have to marry Ragini as per mata's wishes. But....."
"But what?", he asked eagerly.
"I have a condition", Arjun stated. "That I will marry Krishnaa first".
Nakul looked shocked. "But Mata will never agree".
"She will. She has to. I am not disobeying her orders", he pointed out.
"She will never let Krishnaa be the yurani", Nakul commented.
"I don't care about that!", he shouted. "Let Ragini be the yurani. All I want is for Krishnaa to be my wife".

"Is it true Arjun?" Maharaj Pandu, who happened to overhear their conversation, asked. "Is it true that you love another woman?"
"Pitshree", Arjun gasped. "Yes. Yes it is true. I don't want to marry Ragini but if I have to, then I want to marry Krishnaa first".
"Why didn't you tell us before?", he asked with a raised eyebrow.
"I was worried that Mata would not accept her", he explained.
"She won't. Not that easily, at least. But if you want to follow her orders with a condition, Ragini will be hurt. She would have to marry a man who will never love her. It would be unfair for her."

"So what do I do now?", Arjun asked feeling defeated.
"You will have to choose between them. If you want to marry Krishnaa, then you have to be firm and take a stand", Pandu adviced.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Arjun took a deep breath and entered his mother's chambers.
"Mata-"
"Arjun. How is Ragini? Did you like her? Are you ready for marriage?", Kunti asked excitedly, not letting Arjun speak.
"Mata sit down", Arjun said calmly. "I am ready to get married, but not to Rajkumari Ragini ".
Kunti frowned. "Then to whom?"
"Krishnaa".
"Who?"
Arjun then proceeded to tell her about Krishnaa.
"But Arjun, Ragini-"
"If you want me to marry Ragini, then I have one condition. I will marry Krishnaa first. I don't care if you want Ragini to be yurani or the kulvadhu. I am satisfied with Krishnaa just being my wife. But remember, it would be unfair to Ragini", he said firmly.

"What is lacking in Ragini that you don't want to marry her?", she questioned.
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But she isn't the one I love or will ever love. She may become the ideal wife, an ideal daughter-in-law and a very capable yurani but she can never take Krishnaa's place in my life", he countered.

Kunti thought for a while. "Why didn't you tell me before?", Kunti asked, softly.
"I was worried that you won't accept her. You always wanted me to marry a Rajkumari."
"That's true..........how do you know Krishnaa doesn't love you just because you are a Rajkumar?", Kunti questioned.
"She doesn't know......I never told her".
"What? Why?"
"Because I didn't want to live every second of my life like a rajkumar. I wanted to be myself. To feel normal. She made me feel normal. She didn't see Rajkumar Arjun, she saw Parth".

Kunti smiled at his words. "Your happiness means the world to me. Go and tell her the truth. Also, don't forget to invite her and her family to Indraprasth tomorrow. "
"But Ragini.....?"
"I will talk to her. You are lucky that I didn't make any promises to her."

Arjun smiled brightly and hugged his mother.