29: The Midnight Sky

It was a long night for Krishnaa

It was a long night for Krishnaa. Sleepless and dark. She couldn't tell why, but she felt paranoid. As if there was an unknown threat waiting to pounce on her like a predator. She got out of her bed and walked towards the kitchen to drink some water. The darkness around her house making her nervous.

She took a small glass and filled it with water from the pot. Suddenly, she felt two arms snake around her. She screamed but the person had covered her mouth. She trashed around, flaying her arms and legs, but the grip on her didn't loosen.

"Shh. It's just me. Calm down", a familiar voice whispered to her. She instantly calmed down.
"Is this the way to come and meet someone", she scolded Parth. "And why are you here in the first place?"
"So now I can't even be here?", he raised an eyebrow.
"I never meant it like that. Why are you here at this time?"

"I wanted to see you", he reasoned.
"And you thought that it was a good idea to come in like a thief because.......?"
"No reason."
She rolled her eyes. "Anyways, is everything alright?"
"I hope so", he replied. She felt worried. "Did something happen at the palace. Everything alright?"
"Yes. Everything is fine there. I was talking about you."
She was now confused. "What would happen to me?"

Parth shook his head. "Do you want to go somewhere?"
"At this time?"
"Why not?"
Krishnaa shrugged her shoulders. She didn't have to go to the palace tomorrow and it wasn't like she was sleeping anyways. She nodded in agreement.

Parth and Krishnaa walked hand in hand on the lonely and quiet streets. It was so different now as compared to daytime. "Where are we going?", she asked.
"There is a floral garden nearby. You haven't seen it before".

The floral garden was indeed beautiful. A large variety of flowers were grown here. Parth explained that some women grow flowers here for pooja or to use in perfumes. They lay down in the field. Krishnaa placed her head on Parth's chest as his arm was wrapped around her shoulders. Parth kissed her forehead. She smiled feeling peaceful.

They stared at the night sky. The stars were visible since the sky was clear. Parth was talking about constellations and astrology. He kept talking about what stars represented while pointing towards them. He knew a lot about astrology, which he claims to have learned from his brother, Sahadev.

"When I was younger, I used to claim that this was my star", he said pointing at the brightest star in the sky. Krishnaa smiled. "If that is your star, then that one is mine", she pointed towards a star which was smaller, near Parth's star. They lay in silence feeling peaceful, ignoring the recent events.

"By the way, what was your actual reason for meeting me tonight", Krishnaa asked.
"Nothing. I told you, I just felt like it", he said, his eyes not meeting hers.
Krishnaa sat up. "Parth, I know you. I know you are tensed about something. What is it?"
Parth sighed. "Today Duryodhan came along with Dushasan and Karn."
"Your cousins from Hastinapur and their friend right? The one we saw in Panchal?"
Parth nodded. "But that isn't it. They came here saying that they wanted to meet us and congratulate us......but they left without meeting me. "
"Strange", she commented.
Parth nodded. "Very strange. By any chance, did they meet you or see you?", he asked, sounding worried.
Krishnaa shook her head. "No. I didn't go to the palace today."

Parth sighed in relief. "Thank god", he said, pulling her into an embrace, burying his head in her neck. "You remember that day in Panchal. The way Karn had looked at you. I wanted to kill him then and there. You are never meeting them. Never."

On hearing his words, Krishnaa's mind went to that morning. The way that man had stared at her. It made her feel unsafe and threatened. There was something strange about him. He gave off negative vibes. The memory sent chills down her spine.

She wanted to tell Parth, but decided against it. That moment had passed. They were traders from another kingdom, so they wouldn't stay in Indraprasth for more than a few months and till then, Drisht could go to that market. It was unlikely that she would meet them again.

And anyways, it wasn't like they did anything. She didn't want Parth to worry for no reason.

She was in his arms. Safe. Forever.