33: Danger

Arjun left the palace, feeling disheartened

Arjun left the palace, feeling disheartened. His parents had trusted him, but he had failed them. Krishnaa had believed in him. He will have to tell his parents the truth when he will be asked about it. When Krishnaa finds out that the alliance did not happen because he refused to marry Chetan's daughter for her, she would unnecessarily feel guilty. If he knew her well, she blame herself and start to distance herself from him. He could stand anything, but Krishnaa's troubles.

He didn't know what to do. He was stuck both ways. He consoled himself by reminding himself that it was for Krishnaa, for the sake of their love, but the thought made him more nervous. His family would understand him, even accept his decision, but that doesn't mean that he isn't accountable for what happened.

He rode his horse on the streets of Malva, wondering what to do next, when he heard the loud sound of drums. Within a matter of seconds, the entire place turned into chaos, the people started to panic. He understood what had happened.

Is Malva was being attacked? If yes, then by whom? And why? Arjun looked around, hastily. A stampede had began. People running around in all directions, without thinking twice. There was an absolute state of panic. He saw a child crying, separated from his mother. An old man, lying on the ground in pain, not having the strength to get up and run.

Arjun acted fast. He quickly grabbed the child and held him close to his chest, patting his back to comfort him. Once the child calmed down, he ran towards the old man and helped him up.

He saw everyone around hiding in nearby houses. He too, went inside a house with the child and the man.

"Mata", the boy cried and ran towards a woman, who Arjun assumed was his mother.
"Putr", the woman gasped and hugged her son tightly. Arjun smiled at the comforting sight. The woman approached Arjun.
"Thank you so much for saving my son and bringing him to me".

"Don't thank me, I just did what I should have."
The woman smiled in response. Arjun turned back towards the entrance and walked towards the door. He peeked out, slightly to see if anyone was there.

He saw a Malva soldier patrolling the streets. He stepped out to talk to him.
"Excuse me, what is happening here?", Arjun questioned.
"Rajkumar, Malva is being attacked", the soldier replied. His face was serious, but hopeless.
"By whom? And why are you so scared?", Arjun asked.
"By Gandhar raj Shakuni", the soldier replied. "And I am not scared, I am worried. Gandhar's army is too big. We won't be able to defend Malva".

"But what about the neighboring allies? Surely they will be sending their armies."
The soldier shook his head. "It is still not enough. And the army isn't trained enough to deal with such situations."
Arjun understood the gravity of the situation. He looked back at the house. There were innocent lives at stake and that too, for an unnecessary war. He cannot just abandon everyone. He has to do something.

He mounted his horse immediately and rode towards the battlefield, a bow, which he took from the soldier, in one hand. He crossed the borders, and rode faster to where the armies were lined up.
He examined the situation once he reached. The army sent by Gandhar Raj was vast indeed. There was a slim chance that Malva would be able to defend themselves.

There wasn't much time. He has to do something quick. He remembered a mantra taught to him by his guru. That is the only solution. He rode to the center of the battle field as fast as he could. He got down from his horse.

He wasted no time. His fingers held the bow string, while chanting the mantra under his breath. He pulled the bow string back and an arrow appeared on his bow. He aimed at the army of Gandhar before releasing the arrow. A loud explosion took place and the Gandhar army was defeated. Half the soldiers were dead, while the other half had fled.

Arjun sighed I relief. Everything was fine now.

                   •••••••••••••••••••••

Meanwhile, the news reached Indraprasth that Malva had been attacked. When Krishnaa heard this, she had been devastated. She ran to the temple. She folded her hands and went down on her knees in front of the idol, tears threatening to escape from her eyes. She kept praying for Parth's safety.