45: Dread

It was a dark day at Indraprasth

It was a dark day at Indraprasth. The palace was in chaos. No one ever expected this to happen and no one knows what to do.
The innocent praja of Indraprasth, was still unaware of the unfortunate event that had taken place in the rajya.

Krishnaa walked into the treasury, expecting to be greeted by Mata Kunti as always. She was surprised when she found the doors of the treasury locked.
She was confused. Mata Kunti gave no instructions regarding not coming that day.

She left and went to the palace. The palace was unorganized and chaotic. Daasis and dwarpals were running here and there in haste.
Krishnaa stopped a daasi. "What is the matter?", in questioned in a authoritative manner.

"Devi", the daasi gasped. "Maharaj and Maharani......"
Krishnaa didn't waited for her to finish and ran towards their chambers. What she saw was unexpected.
The entire chamber was scattered. Things fallen on the floor, broken pieces of glass, a half burned curtain and the worst, blood.

Blood spilled on the floor. Not enough to kill someone, but enough to indicate that the person was severely wounded.
Krishnaa's eyes widened in horror.
She turned around and saw the Rajkumars staring at the room, terror in their eyes.
She spotted the Mahamantri standing in the corner.

"Mahamantri Arun", she approached him. "What is all this?", she asked in a trembling voice. She was already dreading the answer.
Mahamantri raised his head to look at her.
"Devi", he replied. "I am very sorry". He fell to the floor and started sobbing, uncontrollably.

"Sorry?", Krishnaa questioned.
"For what? What did you do? What happened?", she almost yelled.
Arun shook his head, rigorously. "No devi, you misunderstood. I didn't do anything", he clarified. "But I am... extremely sorry to inform you......that our Maharaj and Maharani have gone missing", he said in between sobs.

Krishnaa shook her head, still in denial.
"No", she chocked. "This can't be true. You are lying. Please tell me you are lying."
Arun shook his head. Krishnaa's vision was blurred with tears. "And the blood.....?"
"It must be theirs", Arun spoke.
Krishnaa's breath hitched. She looked at Parth, who nodded his head in confirmation.
Krishnaa looked at Parth. He looked stressed out and absolutely broken. It was understandable. Among all the brothers, he was the closest to his Mata-pita. She went to him and hugged him tightly.

"Come on", she whispered to him and guided him to his chambers and away from that dreadful sight.
They both sat on his bed. Parth looked stiff and numb. Krishnaa rubbed his back to provide some comfort and to reassure him.

"It's going to be alright", she reassured, trying to sound as convincing as possible. "We will find them."
Parth turned his head sharply and glared at her.
"It's easy for you to say!", he stood up and shouted at her. "You have no idea what I have been through since last night."

Krishnaa flinched at his tone. "Parth...", she whispered, a little afraid.
Realization struck Parth's face and he sat back down. "I am sorry", he whispered. "I shouldn't have raised my voice on you."
He buried his face in his palms and started sobbing. His shoulders were shaking.

Krishnaa suppressed her own sobs. She can not break. She has to be the strong one this time. For him.
She kissed Parth on the forehead and pulled him down on her lap.
She understood that he didn't need words. They weren't going to fix anything.

All he needed at that moment was someone to be there for him. And it had to be her.
She ran her fingers through his scalp and caressed the side of his face.
"There was blood", Parth sounded hopeless. "And the room....How?", he mumbled. "How could we not hear anything? How didn't anyone know? We don't even know if they are alive....."

Krishnaa cupped his mouth, preventing him from speaking. "Shhh", she shushed him. "Don't speak like that. They are fine......they have to be".
"But you saw the condition of the room", Parth whispered. "It's all my fault. If something happens to them......"

"Nothing will happen", Krishnaa cut him off. "And it isn't your fault, it will never be. So stop blaming yourself."
Krishnaa continued caressing his face, lulling Parth into deep sleep.

      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Duryodhan and Shakuni sat in the latter's chamber, playing chaussar, which Shakuni was, obviously winning.
"Mamashree, what is your plan?", Duryodhan asked, abruptly.
Shakuni looked up at him, without raising his head.
"Patience, my child", he calmly spoke. "When time comes, you will know everything."

"But of what help is Yagyaseni going be?", he asked. "I know about the prophecy, but what exactly is she going to do?"
"I told you, when time comes, you will find out", Shakuni cleverly dodged the question. "All you have to know is that she is the key to our dreams."

"And what after that", Duryodhan continued with his questions. "I mean, are you going to kill her?"
"Then what else do you expect me to do?", Shakuni counter questioned. "She isn't some kind of an antique artifact, that I should keep her. Remember my child, she is what we need right now, but if kept alive, she will pose the greatest threat."

"What I mean is that, Mitra Karn wants her", he explained. "If there is some way to make her powerless........can Karn have her?"
Gandhar Raj Shakuni's face darkened. "We shall see", he gave a diplomatic answer. He was of course not planning on fulfilling Angraj's desires, but Duryodhan was too naive to understand that.

A hawk flew through the window and landed on Shakuni's arm. Gandhar Raj frowned. Another letter from Indraprasth? He just received one two days back.
He opened the letter and once he read it, he got the shock of his life. Pandu and Kunti have been kidnapped. But by whom?

Several questions swarmed in his mind. He didn't know whether he should be happy or angry.
This was going against what he had planned. He wanted to win Indraprasth in the game of dice, but now since Maharaj has gone missing, he won't be able to do that.

All he understood was that Pandu and Kunti have been kidnapped.
And he has to find that person as soon as possible.