53: The Crown

Krishnaa looked at the wonder in front of her

Krishnaa looked at the wonder in front of her. Yagyaseni's crown. A big golden crown, embedded with emeralds. It looked magnificent. It looked divine. Even from a distance, she looked feel it's power. No wonder it was protected in this manner.

Looking at the crown, she felt something different. She has never had this feeling before. A sense of belonging. A sense of power.
It felt as if the crown was calling out to her, beckoning her towards it.

It felt as though it was made for her. And it was her responsibility to protect it.
However, despite feeling confident, she knew that she had to be cautious. She couldn't let her guard down. This could be a trap.

Krishnaa had navigated her way through the darkness. It was difficult, but she did it.
Whenever she felt like giving up, she remembered her ma's words.
There were several other obstacles. Several challenges and hurdles.
But she had made it. And now, she stood in front of the most divine thing she had ever seen.

She stood still for awhile. All her senses were alert. She stood there, expecting to pick up a sound or see something that can be a potential threat.
But there was nothing. It was calm and quiet. A little too calm.
Her mind told her that it was a trap, but her heart told her to follow her instincts.

She felt that there no real danger. It seems easy. Too easy. But why?
After a quick debate, she decided to trust her instincts. She could be wrong, but she had to take the risk.
She took one step at a time. Very slowly. Looking around with caution. She half expected a stone tile to sink down and an arrow or axe to come flying at her, but nothing of that sort happened.

'Perhaps, there is some other sort of protection', she thought. 'Or no one ever came this close.'
If that was true, she wondered why she could. What was so special in her?
She shook her head. This wasn't the time to over analyze. This was the time to do something.

She continued to proceed slowly till she reached the steps which led to the crown. She was so close yet so far.
She took a deep breath.
She placed her foot on the bottom most step.
She felt the air around her shimmer.
'Strange'.
She looked around confused. What just happened? Why did the air shimmer?

She paused. Nothing happened. She shrugged before taking the next step.

Unknown to her, the protective barrier had broken.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The sun shone brightly over the forest of Vrindavan, after a heavy rainfall. The flowers were bloomed and grass was green. There was the smell wet soil.
The birds were chirping and the deer were running.
It was a pleasant and beautiful day.

However, not for the Lord of Vrindavan.
Kanha sat in a rock in the forest. His flute was in his hand, but he didn't wish to play it.
There was only one person who occupied his mind now. His sakhi. A lone tear trailed down his cheek, thinking of the pain she is going to have to endure.
It is most painful time of their lives.

"Swami", a gentle voice called. Hearing that voice put a smile on Kanha's face.
"Yes priye", he said.
Rukmini sat beside him on the rock and lay her head on his shoulder. "Is there anything troubling you?", she asked him.

"I am thinking about my sakhi", he clarified.
Rukmini looked at him worriedly. "What about her? Is she alright?", she asked.
Kanha shook his head sadly.
"What's wrong? Where is she?"

"She has gone in the maze", he replied.
"Isn't that a good thing?", she asked. "She will find the crown....."
"Yes she will", Kanha answered. "But Gandhar Raj Shakuni has gone on the search as well."

"If he gets the crown, he will be the most powerful man in Aryavrat. Everything will be over then", he continued. "But it is Yagyaseni's crown. Without her, there is nothing he can do. Only Yagyaseni can lead them to the divine crown."

Rukmini's eyes widened in realization. "You mean that....."
Kanha nodded. "Yagyaseni must die."

************
Krishnaa finally found the crown. But are things really as easy as they seem?
Things are taking a turn.