4

Chapter Four___________

Chapter Four
___________

Before I knew it, my birthday was here.

Lying in bed, I practically threw my duvet over my head in agony and thought of the long day that was ahead of me. I didn't want to get up, nor did I have the energy or motivation to. I loathed the fact that I couldn't celebrate my eighteen birthday like any other teenager on this planet, who doesn't have parents like mine.

I understand that they want me to take the right path, but a little freedom every once in a while wouldn't be so bad. I don't know what they're afraid of, what's the worst that could happen?

The sound of my mothers voice echoed through the hall and I pulled down my duvet before my door was creaked open, revealing my mother dressed in her finest attire that'll make anyone believe that today's her birthday instead of mine.

"Danielle Adele Schneider, why aren't you already dressed and ready? Guests should be arriving in an hour." My mother fussed, placing her hands on her hips with knitted eyebrows.

"I know, I know.. my outfit is already laid out for me and there's not much to do." I informed her, sitting up and pointing towards the foot of my bed. "It's not like you allow me to wear makeup or straighten my hair." I mumbled.

"Pardon? Hast du etwas zu sagen?" She asked and I mentally rolled my eyes, knowing she was getting frustrated by her change in languages.

Every time my mother gets extremely upset, she starts to ramble while speaking in German. It used to be the most embarrassing thing to happen when I was in school because everyone would laugh and make childish comments.

My mother was the type to be exactly on time if she had to pick me up, so if I was at least two minutes late she'd cause a scene through the car window and bring everyone's attention on me.

"No." I whispered, breaking gazes with her. "I'll be down in thirty minutes, okay?"

"Alright, Danielle. Thirty minutes."
_

After a short but hot shower, my body covered itself in a plaid skirt and button up. I placed my hair into a high ponytail and braided my loose curls up, knowing how much my mother would scold me if I did otherwise, then finished it off with a white bow at the end to match my outfit.

White and black were my colors for the day with a hint of gray to go along with how I felt; gloomy and unhappy. The only thing— or person— I looked forward to today was seeing my best friend Janet.

We've been sending texts back and forth ever since I climbed out of bed, but it came to a stop when she informed me that she'd be on her way and seeing that text bettered my mood just a bit.

The clock read twelve, meaning I had to finish up quickly before my mother had a stroke. I looked at myself in the mirror, observing the dullness in my olive green eyes before turning the light off in my bathroom and exiting.