6

Chapter Six__________

Chapter Six
__________

"I never had the chance to ask.. did you enjoy your birthday celebration?" My mother asked as she braided my hair into pigtails, preparing for church.

"It was cool." I said, shrugging my shoulders. I noticed her eyebrows frowned in the mirror before she paused her movements. I wouldn't be surprised if she rebuked me for my short response.

"That's all?" She asked, gazing up me. Her eyes read a look of.. sadness, as if she was expecting me to say otherwise.

"The cake was good." I told her in hopes that she'd feel better with a more positive response than a bland one.

"Really? I was a bit afraid that you wouldn't like it since I didn't ask for your opinion." My mother stated, releasing a small laugh that caused me to smile.

She returned her focus back on my braid before releasing a soft tune of hums into the atmosphere. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the small affection my mother was giving me. Often, my mother either did my hair but wouldn't speak or she'd do my hair but remind me how to act during services. This time was different, though, and it made me feel.. happy.

Maybe today won't be so bad, I thought to myself.
_

During church, my mother surprised me when she kept her hand rested on my lap in a reassuring way. At first, my shoulders stiffened because I assumed that someone else had touched me until I looked up and met gazes with her glacier irises.

I didn't see Harry throughout the service. I kind of expected to, but I didn't simultaneously. Yesterday afternoon, Janet told me that the party that occurred Friday night didn't end until almost four in the morning, so nearly everyone that attended the party was still asleep and Sunday would be their recovering day.

My parents crowded around the Pastor when church came to an end with the Payne's standing right beside them. As I sat in the bench waiting on my parents, I caught Liam's eyes glancing my way.

I knew that it was only a matter of time before he walked over to me and started an irrelevant conversation about how church went today, so to prevent that from happening I stood up and darted towards the hallway where only a few people stood.

I smiled at some of the people who threw greetings my way until I found the set of stairs that led me to the second floor. The second floor consisted of old instruments, Pastor Styles' office and classrooms for the youth. There's some downstairs, too, but for teenagers.

I remember how excited I used to feel about coming here as a child, but as I walk up these steps now.. I feel nothing.

When I reached the floor and made a right turn, my body collided with a hard chest and my nostrils inhaled a specific scent that I've only ever smelt on one person.