An Explanation After an Unexpected Confession (Part 99!)

-Requested by WallyandDick.- 

-1-

It took a lot of persuading to convince Dick to return o the mountain. Even by then, Bruce wasn't really clear on why Dick was upset, only that he'd fallen in love with a friend, and now that friend hated him. It seemed ridiculous that Dick was so hung up on a crush not liking him, but Bruce assumed that maybe those are things that matter to thirteen year olds.

So, on the threat of being left out of a mission, Dick was dragged back to the mountain. He stuck by his foster father and tried not to look at the others. Even around Kaldur, M'gann, Conner, and Artemis, he felt awkward. He was still a bit embarrassed to have cried in front of them.

And then there was Wally. He could feel Wally watching him, and it nearly made him cry again. A five year friendship, gone. He couldn't even bare to think of it. He just stayed by Bruce's side and hoped he wouldn't have to say anything the whole time.

"Are you feeling better today?" M'gann asked quietly, hovering nearby.

"uh, yeah. Fine." Dick muttered, pushing past her. He really felt stupid for having cried like that in front of anyone, especially the team.

"Hey Rob!" a voice called from behind them.
Dick put his head down and tried to push forwards. He didn't want to see Wally. He really didn't want to see Wally. "Wait! Robin!" Dick kept hurrying past. "Wait up!" The speedster cut in front of him. "Dude, we gotta talk."

"I'm busy." Dick tried to push past him.

"Doing what? Pacing in circles?" Wally grabbed his arm. Dick desperately tried to twist away. "Dude, please, We need to talk!"

"No we don't!"

"Yes. We. Do!" Wally yanked him to the next room. "Dick..." He said softly. "Please?"

Dick had no choice but to follow. Wally pulled him around the corner, where it was a bit darker. "Wally, I-"

"Dick." He sighed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed at you."

"...What?"

"We'd just finished a good mission, I was tired, and... I genuinely thought you were joking."

This didn't make Dick feel any better. "Okay, well, if you're done, I..." 

Wally pulled him back. "Dick, no! I didn't mean it like that! What I mean is, I'm a jerk and I should've taken you seriously. and for that... I'm sorry." 

"Whatever. It was my fault." Dick muttered. "I was tired and stupid, and I said some dumb stuff without thinking." He tried to walk away again, but Wally stopped him. "Wally, let me go! I said something stupid, and I ruined us forever!"

"Dick, if we don't resolve this, our friendship really will be over." Wally insisted. "I can't say it will be the same after this, but we can at least try!" 

"Can't we just forget any of it ever happened?"

"Sure, work through it, forget it, whatever! Just one thing."

"What?"

"Did you... mean what you said on Thursday?"

"Wally, I-"

"Shh. I have nothing against being gay, or liking me, though I don't know why you would. I just have to know."

Dick sighed. He didn't want His friend to change his opinion of him. But... he didn't want to lie to Wally. "Maybe." He admitted. "I'm not sure, I need to think."

"Okay." Wally said. "Just, let me know when you are sure. I... just wanna know. It doesn't have to change anything about our friendship." He looked thoughtful. "Unless you want it to."

"Great. Let's just... uh... Go back for mission briefing."

"Okay." Wally agreed. He wrapped his hand around Dick's, and followed him back to the group.

-Part 99! Tune in next part for the Finale and announcement of the new book-