⫣19⫦ Into the Monsters Belly

My pulse finally settles and I lean happily against the railing of the truck as the others take out our spoils: Vodka, Malibu, Bacardi and lots and lots of Soju.

I wonder how they've even been able to carry all that.
J-Hope also proudly holds up the magazine with the busty brunette on the cover and I break out into the laughter I held in at the gas station.

Cups are filled and some of the hard stuff mixed with the coke Jimin bought.
We drink as we drive and smoke, the wind in our hair and the evening sun warming our faces.

Even Jin is holding a bottle of Soju and hollers with us through the open back window.
Suga pulls out a music box and turns the volume to maximum.
We sing along to some of the songs and to others we just move our feet or make drum sounds on the floor of the trunk.
Sometimes we scream so loud our voices crack.

We get some food from a drive-through and park at a run down playground that has been closed because of safety reasons.
Jin joins us in the back, attacking his food like he is a starving man in a desert, eyeing his first meal.

Meanwhile, I stare down at the burger with furrowed eyes.
I really can't remember the last time I ate fast food and look at it a bit sceptical.

My parents, especially my mother, despises any kind of establishment that offers preheated food and anything that comes in packed, ready made form.

"You look like you think the burger is going to eat you instead of you it." , J-Hope says with a full mouth, already having devoured half his burger.

"When's the last time you've eaten something without using cutlery or a plate?" Jimin immediately throws in and I decide to give him a nice view of my middle finger for that comment.
He chuckles and eats his fries.

I glance back down at the burger, it's scent making my mouth water.
The first bite is like an explosion in my mouth when I finally set it to my lips and chew.

"Ah, the unhealthy stuff always tastes best, doesn't it?" Jungkook says from my right, and I answer with a sigh of pleasure as I take another long bite.

"This stuff is amazing." I squeak out excitedly and devour the thing before already grabbing for a second one and some fries.

And all the while, my mothers voice, reprimanding me for eating too fast and without manners grows more silent until it ceases to exist and I gobble down food like I have never truly eaten in my life.

By the time we are done, the car looks like a mess and our hands are sticky and greasy, but none of us care as we head back on the road.

J-Hope makes faces that send me into a fit of laughter and RM gets the brilliant idea to stand up on the car, forgetting about his cap.

We watch it fly away and then laugh in union at him for being so dumb when he is supposed to have the highest IQ out of all of us.
He grins, not the least bit hurt, as though he only cared that we had a laugh, even if it's at his own expense.

Suga gives us the performance of his life as he screams along to a ballad song and Jungkook tries to get the others to arm wrestle with him, even though everyone here knows he is going to win anyway.

Then Jimin and Taehyung get it into their heads to do a handstand battle against the drivers lodge.
My heart nearly drops onto the floor, but they hold steady, laughing as they try to hold their balance, both their heads turning red and their veins standing out from the strain of staying upside down.
We hoot for them as we speed through the streets.

Jimin falls first with a cute little cry, and Jungkook is there to catch him, holding on to him for too long to be casual, then letting go way too quick.
If Jimin or the other's notice, they don't show it.

Taehyung comes back down too and even though J-Hope is there to catch him if need be, he makes it back to his feet on his own, smiling proudly.

Wherever we pass, people stop and stare at us, looking up from the side walk, out of their windows or from where they rest in their back yards.
We make faces at them, scream even louder or just hold up our drinks in a mocking salute.

Most shake their heads as if we are the shame of society.
Like we are the runt of humanity and behave like crazy children.

It makes me scream even louder at them-
Because I know what it is like to be that person on the side walk with their disgusted and judging faces.

I pity them all for not knowing what this feels like- that rush that flows through my body.
A feeling that makes me want to hug the world and celebrated every moment that I get to live in it.

Once, I was like them, looking at those people who laughed loud and open, who did not care about what others think of them as long as they were true to themselves.

They are cowards and I am not.

I am free.