⫣32⫦ The darkest truths

They take me to the office building and my suspicion from last day comes back to mind, even though I know there is nothing inside but a dusty office.

But not in my wildest dream could I have guessed what lay beneath.

Wide eyed, I stare at the picture of the Black Swan ballerina open up to reveal a door behind.
And then the secret they keep below...
It all starts to make sense.

Why Suga is such a good hacker.
Why Jin can drive like a racer and why J-Hope has bought so many different cars out front.
And then there are the doers: the maknae line.

Had I ever asked myself what exactly they are usually doing?

And RM- brilliant RM who I always believed was kind of wasting all that potential to rob convenience stores and gas stations.

Seeing the secret bunker now, I know he isn't wasting it.

He is using it for something much greater.
And whatever they are doing down here, they're organized and well-equipped.
Not just a gang of young, reckless boys.

"What is this place?" I ask when I stand in the middle of the room, looking at all the computers, beamers and desks filled with electronics.

RM turns to me, stretching his arms wide and a proud smile is plastered on his face.

"This is our base."

"Base for what?"

Jin's expression is dark and yet the same pride glitters in his eyes.

"For doing all the things the police is too stupid or unwilling to do."

"What he means," Suga continues as he takes a seat in a large office chair, a desk with multiple monitors facing it.
"Is that we take on cases that no one else is trying to solve.
Unlike the police, there is no bureaucracy or rules for us."

I snort.

"Like vigilantes? But... isn't that like really illegal?"

There are a few chuckles and nods.

"We would definitely have to do time if we were found out."
Jungkook says, but doesn't sound at all worried.

"Which we won't because we're the best fucking team ever!"
Jimin throws in and shoots me a wink and two thumbs up.

For a moment I'm so dumbfounded, I can only stand there and blink.
Then I can't keep in my confusion any longer.

"Why? Why are you guys doing this?"

They grow a little more serious at my question, and Taehyung, who's been standing behind me, turns me around to face him.

"Because no one did it for us.
No one looked into Jin's case of domestic violence.
No one stopped Jimin's father from using him as bait in his crimes.
No one made sure J-Hope had supervision when his parent's left him alone at age ten and no one cares about the poor and the struggling like RM's family.
No one is stopping a gang like X-EXO and no one asked themselves why Suga felt like he had no other option but to burn down his step-dads garage."

I blink up at him.

"And you?"

He immediately tenses at my soft spoken question.
I see him struggle for a moment, like he's trying to hold on, but something slips.
He looks at nothing but me when he answers just as quietly, endless sadness shining out of those eyes.

"No one cared about the son of a prostitute either."

I hear the others breath in sharply- see their surprise and pain as they hear what I think is the first information about Taehyung's past.