還願: nostalgia [Jamilton]

life is not as it seems, it is a behemoth of factors tied together to form a conglomerate of predetermined futures, with fate acting as the glue of sorts. however, the predetermined futures can change. so as it seems, for him too, to realise the wrongs.

the ticking of the analogue clock mounted on the wall is the first thing he registers after regaining consciousness. the second thing he registers is that he is in an apartment. It's filled with dim red light, and his body is trying to get off the floor, in a valiant attempt. he pushes himself off the floor, and he hears some more static and the barely audible, very familiar melody of a certain talent show. the television is switched on, the dim white light casting a mysterious aura all around it.

"shimmering neon glimmering glow!"

the television is glitching on the same screen over and over again, so he walks towards it and hits it a few times to get the tv to stop glitching. it works, somehow.

there are two hosts, a man and a woman in front of a stage, red with gold accents. they're both wearing white suits, with the exception of the lady host wearing a white suit jacket and a pleated black skirt.

the man starts the show. "Contestants from around the globe!"

the woman continues, with an equally lively voice, "superstars, newcomers, a massive gathering of singing finesse!"

the man gestures lively. "you can sing, I can sing, the stage is set for the final test!"

"Welcome to... the rainbow star stage!"

the camera pans across the stage and to the audience, who are clapping in sync and a yellow font flashes across the screen, signifying this is the 910th episode of the rainbow star stage.

《七彩星舞台》
—第九百一十集—

he is slightly unnerved by the synchronised clapping, like it is something he should not have seen.

the screen flashes a few times with distorted music echoing across the room before it suddenly cuts off to black. he hasn't done anything to it.

it's time to go back to his apartment.  he walks across the heavily graffitied walkway, and while he can't discern what voices those were— somewhere along the lines of a feminine voice, and another, slightly childlike voice. it's hard to tell. a ball suddenly slams across the riser, with seemingly no one when he turns the corner, and he is slightly startled, but he continues to walk forward, like some unforeseen force had driven him to his apartment. he finds the keys in his letterbox, as always, and he turns the knob easily, a motion he'd repeated time and time again.

he looks at the calendar. its the 23rd of august,1985. the lighter is heavy in his pocket. he finds an old and crumpled notice stamped with the seal of the school. the layout has many checkboxes and pre filled out blanks.

-
notice of injury or illness

to the parents/guardians, greetings:

third year student: alexander du

Date: 11:45 am, march 18, 1985
cause: difficulty breathing, sent to school clinic
actions taken: emergency transportation to hospital.

message to parents:
further medical testing is advised as early as possible.

after receiving this notice and seeking further medical attention, have the doctor fill out the reply form with the treatment provided. return the reply slip to the school medical clinic so that we may continue to provide the student with medical care.

-

he walks to the door of his bedroom, where his mother had once jokingly placed a piece of paper that simply stated that hands must be washed before entering. he reluctantly complies.