Chapter Thirty

I didn't go to breakfast the next morning. I wanted to avoid Malfoy at all costs. I didn't want anyone to figure out what had happened last night, and I knew Malfoy would bring it up just to annoy me. So instead, I went straight to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Unfortunately for me, Malfoy is also in my DADA class. There were no chairs in the classroom today, so we all had to stand. I stood next to Harry and Ronald, which seemed to earn me glares from Malfoy.

There was a large, brown, wooden cabinet at the front of the room, which we were all staring at. It started to shake and rattle, and Professor Lupin stepped in front of it, a big smile placed on his face.

I never got a good look at this man. On the train, everything was so blurry and I couldn't make since of anything. He had a large scar covering half of his face, his hair flopping in front of his forehead. He wore old clothes, but he had a homey vibe to him. A happy aura.

"Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Lupin asks us.

Seamus raises his hand and Lupin calls on him. "That's a boggart, that is."

Lupin smiles and clasps his hands together. "Very good, Mr. Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione says aloud.

I look back and jump- she had not been there before- when Ronald gives me a look and realize I was holding his forearm. I quickly pull it away and blush, and Ronald gives me a small smile.

"When did she get here?" Ronald asks Harry. Harry shrugs, and Lupin asks us the next question.

"Can someone tell me what a boggart is?" Lupin asks. I raise my hand, and he calls on me. I lower my hand and smile.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They transform into whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so-" I start, but Lupin cuts me off.

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!" Lupin exclaims. The class repeats the spell, not casting any magic, and he smiles.

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart off is... laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?" Lupin asks.

Neville glances around the room nervously, all eyes on him, as he steps to the front of the class next to Lupin.

"What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" Lupin asks Neville.

He mumbles something under his breath that not of us can understand.

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry." Lupin tells him, cupping his ear with his hand.

"Professor Snape." Neville says louder and clearer.

Everyone in the class laughs and Lupin gives out a comforting smile. He nods and places a hand on Neville's shoulder.

"Ah, yes. He is rather terrifying, isn't he?" Lupin says, small laughs coming out of his mouth. He shakes his head and looks down at Neville. "I believe you live with your grandmother, correct?"

He nods sheepishly and looks at Lupin worriedly. "Yes, but I don't want the boggart to turn into her either."

The class laughs once more and Lupin shakes his head.

"It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Lupin asks Neville.

He nods and closes his eyes, still trembling from fear. "She carries a red handbag-"