chapter 34 - kageyama

practice finally ended, but while most people tried to shake off the drama that had occurred a few hours earlier, tobio couldn't stop thinking about it.

i like hinata...but we can't be together...right? we shouldn't! i mean...what if we break up and it gets super messy like with daichi-san and sugawara-san? it's too risky...he likes kenma anyway.

"kags? are you good? you've been spaced out for like 10 minutes," hinata shoved him lightly.

"oh! i-it's nothing...just thinking..." kageyama mumbled.

"are you sure?"

"yeah, i'm fine."

"will you stay late and toss for me again?"

"again, boke?"

"pffttt, don't act like you don't have fun practicing extra too," hinata scoffed.

kageyama grunted and trudged towards the cart of volleyballs and brought it closer to the net. the rest of the team had already left, leaving the two first years to fend for themselves.

"make sure you two clean up and lock up before you go!" takeda yelled, walking out the gym door with ukai.

hinata and kageyama nodded, and began their drills.

hinata took the first ball and threw to kageyama, who set the ball up for hinata as he approached for his spike. hinata swung his arm down, hitting the ball which struck the gym floor with a loud smack.

"hmm...that one felt off...i don't think i got enough contact..." hinata muttered, rubbing his palm.

"let's go again. i think my toss was off," kageyama suggested.

they repeated the drill several times before hinata spoke again.

"there's definitely something on your mind. your tosses are never off this consistently," hinata commented.

"shut up! i'm fine," kageyama snapped.

"alright...geez..." hinata replied, going back to start his approach again. "if you're not going to talk, then i will."

hinata grabbed another ball and got ready to throw it to kageyama so he could set it.

"i think i'm over kenma now. we're too different and i think that kuroo-senpai has a thing for him anyway," hinata blurted out, tossing the ball to the setter.

wait what?

kageyama reached up to set the ball, but his fingers slipped and the ball hit him square in the face.

"fuck! ouch..." kageyama hissed, clutching his nose. suddenly, he felt a warm liquid trickle down his chin as he sat down on the court.

"crap! uhhh...i'm gonna grab some tissues!" hinata exclaimed, running towards the bathroom as kageyama stayed there, blood dripping onto the gym floor.

he doesn't like kenma anymore? that means i actually have a chance...right? it's still risky if we get together though...i can't tell him.

hinata returned with an entire roll of toilet paper, tearing off a few squares to give to kageyama to help stop his nosebleed.

kageyama took the paper and started plugging up his nose, blood still dribbling down his face.

"kags, wait uh...you still have some...here, just let me," hinata knelt down in front of the setter, a wad of tissue in hand, and began to clean the blood off of his chin.

kageyama looked up at hinata as the ginger gently wiped his lip, getting lost in his eyes as the lights reflected off them, making them shine like dark amber.