chapter 84 - daichi & suga

february

"guys, you really don't have to follow me around to every class," suga complained.

"we know, but what kind of friends would we be if we didn't help you out?" asahi shrugged.

"although, i do have to leave in a minute because i have to get to class early for an exam," kiyoko mentioned.

"that's fine. asahi, i can carry my bag from here, i know you said you had to meet with your counselor," suga added.

"no, no, it's okay, i can be late. i'm sure sensei won't mind."

"jesus, both of you can go!! as much as i love you both, you're smothering me like i'm some helpless, broken child," suga pouted.

"alright, alright," asahi defended, "i'll see you in class kō."

suga waved the other two off and shifted his shoulders to adjust his bag.

alright...class. it's not too far, i should be fine.

while suga had gotten used to getting around on his crutches, he had to admit that after awhile they left his arms quite sore. it was even worse when he carried the extra weight from his bag, but he was always insistent on trying to be self-sufficient.

he didn't want to rely on anyone, but himself.

suga made his way down the hall, the soft clicks of his crutches echoing after each of his steps. he could feel his backpack slipping off of his shoulder, but he didn't want to stop and readjust everything again.

"sugawara!"

seriously? can't he take a hint?

suga stopped in his tracks and peered over his shoulder to see the one and only karasuno captain jogging to catch up with him.

"do you need something from me?" suga asked flatly.

"no, i just...we are still in the same class you know. i thought i'd walk with you."

"and why would you think i would let you?"

"um...i've noticed that you struggle on your crutches when you have to carry your bag," daichi answered, staring down at his shoes.

"jeez, are you a stalker or something? so what about it?" suga's tone grew more annoyed.

"i-i can carry your stuff for you...if you want," the captain replied sheepishly.

"i'm fine, thanks."

"i just want to be helpful, please," daichi practically begged.

"that's just you and your guilt talking," suga turned away, starting down the hall again.

"suga please! i know you hate the crutches anyway...i can tell by the way you scowl whenever you have to move around on them for a long time."

suga froze.

he noticed that? what the hell?

the setter turned back around to face daichi, his face expressionless and cold.

"fine," he slipped off the bag and passed it to daichi as hard as his arms would let him as he was propped up on his crutches.

daichi grunted softly as the backpack hit his stomach, his eyes widening in surprise that suga had actually complied.

"you can carry my stuff, but we do not have to talk, alright?"

daichi nodded and made a zipping motion across his mouth.

the two started down the hall again, suga noticeably more agile as he hopped a little bit faster now that the weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

daichi kept up as best he could, trying to keep his bag and suga's on his shoulders without slipping.

it wasn't long before they arrived at the classroom. suga gestured for daichi to give him his bag back to which he slipped over his shoulder yet again. before suga could open the door, daichi grabbed his arm.

"wait! suga...please think about it," daichi blurted suddenly.

"think about what?" suga asked, slightly confused.

"in the car before...you know..."

"which part? the crash or my broken leg?" the setter questioned, sarcasm clear in his voice.

"no..." daichi reached over to open the door.

"then what?" suga hissed impatiently.

daichi stepped in front of him and stood in the doorway.

"the part where i told you i still love you."

daichi turned swiftly and walked inside the classroom leaving suga stunned, his lips barely parted as he mouthed "oh."

i'm so screwed.