chapter 35 - summer break

mid august

mid august

the first week of summer break flew by and before anyone knew it, it was time for training camp. all the other teams seemed quite normal, however it was obvious that all the karasuno members were on edge.

after all of the events that had happened between suga and daichi in the past few months, everyone from karasuno hoped that for just one week, things could actually be normal during the training camp.

and to a certain extent, they were.

during the entire camp, everything was...normal.

no drama, no arguments, no petty comments.

nothing.

for karasuno, the only noticeable thing that seemed off was how silent suga and daichi were with each other. even after the break up, they still talked sometimes about information and planning in regards to the team, but throughout the entire week, no one saw them talk.

not once.

however, suga didn't seem down either. he seemed almost normal, if anything; he was upbeat, positive, and talkative with everyone else, just not daichi.

him and oikawa were inseparable at times, with akaashi and semi joining the other two setters now and then, and suga finally seemed to be doing genuinely okay for the first time in months.

as for all the other players, oikawa still refused to confess to iwaizumi no matter how many times suga, akaashi, and semi tried to force him to or drop hints for seijoh's ace.

meanwhile, kuroo was constantly trying to get kenma's attention as usual, but to no avail. at one point, kuroo actually took his switch away so he would eat his food for once. it was clear to everyone except kenma that kuroo wanted kenma to notice him as more than a friend, however there was just no progress.

tanaka and kiyoko seemed to be hanging out all of a sudden as well. they'd sit together during meals and talk whenever they had the time. tanaka was actually able to make kiyoko laugh too and so ennoshita and noya pestered him about it the entire week, as expected.

yaku and noya were always together too and to everyone's surprise, they were a very mushy couple. they walked into the gym each morning either holding hands, an arm around the other, jackets exchanged, or sometimes a combination of them all. no one minded really, but there were a few people who saw them and secretly longed for the same type of intimacy.

ennoshita and yachi had started dating already, but they were a much shyer couple. the most that anyone saw them do was hold hands, and that almost only happened under the table during meals. regardless, the two of them seemed content together, always enjoying each other's company and sharing a smile or a laugh.

kageyama and hinata hadn't gone on their date yet, so neither of the first years knew how to act towards each other. instead, they continued with their usual antics of racing each other to the gym each morning and staying hours afterward to get extra practice in. the only noticeable difference between them was how often kageyama started blushing whenever hinata played well.

surprisingly, ushijima and tendō were the ones acting the most suspicious the entire week. it was later revealed by goshiki that the two of them were selling weed which ushijima had grown himself. the young aspiring ace happened to find them making a deal with oikawa one night and couldn't keep his mouth shut.

none of the coaches found out, but suddenly the shiratorizawa pair was getting a lot more business than before because oikawa had openly praised the quality of ushijima's marijuana (especially when he used it in his baking).

the only other notable event was that bokuto finally opened up to the other captains about why he started living with akaashi. the ace refused everyone's pity especially since he also announced that he finally found a job working as a bartender somewhere in downtown tokyo so that he wouldn't have to rely on akaashi's money too much.

and with that, the week at training camp passed quicker than anyone thought it would. on the last day, all 5 teams enjoyed some barbecue together for dinner before greeting each other goodbye.

but little did anyone know that that week at training camp was the last bit of normal they would have for a long time.