chapter 93 - daichi & suga

"hey," daichi waved awkwardly, jogging out of the gym to where suga stood, leaned against the wall of the building

"hi."

"so...you wanted to talk?" daichi asked hesitantly, adjusting his gym bag back on his shoulder.

"yeah...can we go sit somewhere? i know we said we'd walk around, but uh," suga glanced down at his casted leg, "y'know..."

"oh shit...i'm so sorry, that was really insensitive of me. we can just go to the benches by the front entrance?" the captain suggested.

"sure," suga nodded, pushing himself off the wall and propping himself up onto his crutches.

the two made their way around to the front of the building and sat down on a bench under a tree. suga took his crutches and placed them on the ground before gesturing for daichi to sit next to him.

"first of all...i just-just wanted to say...thank you. for the gift the other day...that was nice of you," suga started, the pauses between his phrases just long enough to be uncomfortable.

"y-you're welcome...it's no big deal really. i know how much you love valentine's day, even just for the celebration of it," daichi answered sheepishly.

"yeah...so um...h-how's therapy going?"

"i thought you said you wanted to talk to me about something...i didn't realize that meant asking about my personal matters."

"you're right...sorry...i didn't mean to intrude."

nice going, idiot.

"so, w-what is it that you um, wanted to...talk about?" daichi stuttered.

calm down...you're not saying anything drastic.

"well, i thought about it...what you said in the car that day," suga replied, staring down at the ground and trying to avoid eye contact.

"you did?"

"yes...now don't get your hopes up," suga warned, his tone changing slightly.

"of course...so, what did you think then?" the captain questioned carefully.

"i can tell that you're trying...really trying...remembering those little details...my locker combination, noticing how much i hate carrying my stuff on crutches, the gift...therapy."

"that's true. i am trying. it's been hard, but i think i'm making progress."

"i think so too. i'm proud of you, honestly...you went and got help. that's more than i can say for myself," suga admitted with a scoff.

"suga...don't say that. i know you're strong enough to-"

"let me finish. sorry...listen, okay?" suga turned and looked up at daichi, his eyes locking with daichi's.