chapter 59 - oikawa

it had been a few days since iwaizumi went to oikawa's house that night and for some reason oikawa was avoiding him.

but not enough for iwaizumi to think that something was wrong.

frankly, iwaizumi was convinced that oikawa was just busy. afterall, they both had school and volleyball keeping them busy along with planning for college.

they texted each other now and then like usual, but their conversations never really lasted very long.

as seijoh's afternoon practice ended, iwaizumi suddenly grabbed oikawa by the wrist before he rushed out of the gym.

"hey tōru, wait. can we hang out this weekend?" iwaizumi asked.

"um...i have plans this weekend. sorry..." oikawa mumbled.

"awh c'mon...i finally have time to hang out with my best friend and now you're too busy for me? i feel like this is payback," iwaizumi jokingly pouted, dropping oikawa's hand.

"well, i'm heading down to tokyo with semi and suga because we're spending the weekend at akaashi's place while his mom is out on a business trip. we've kind of been planning it for a few weeks now..." oikawa explained.

"oh, okay. next time then?"

"of course. we'll go to the mall for lunch and bubble tea or something," the setter suggested.

iwaizumi gave him a small smile before oikawa turned and left the gym, his face immediately flushing bright red.

shit...he really doesn't remember anything, does he? oh fuck...i forgot to call suga back too! stupid, stupid, stupid! he smacked his palm to his forehead as he got into his car.

oikawa fastened his seatbelt and then dialed suga on the new phone that he managed to buy a few days ago after the incident. he placed the device on the dashboard and put it on speaker as he started the car and pulled out of the aoba johsai parking lot.

the phone rang three times before suga picked up.

"what is it tōru?" suga sighed, clearly annoyed.

"i'm so so so sorry i didn't pick up the other day. something came up that i had to deal with and my phone broke. i got a new one a few days ago and i completely forgot to call you back. i'm sorry suga, i really am," oikawa rambled.

"it's fine...whatever you had to deal with better have been good though. so much for 'i will always be here for you' huh?" suga retorted.

"i swear i had good reason. i was planning on telling everyone at the sleepover this weekend because when i tell you it was bad, it was bad," oikawa emphasized.

"i'll explain why i called too. i'm really quite stupid if i'm honest and i'm going to need all of you to smack me for being such a hopeless loser," suga answered flatly.

"ko-chan, was it really that bad?"

"yeah...basically, i'm the most pathetic person in existence!" suga replied with fake enthusiasm.

"i'll bring you some chocolate chocolate chip cookies when we drive to kaashi's, okay?"

suga only hummed in response.

"alright. i'll see you tomorrow then?"

"yup."

suga hung up first, leaving oikawa to drive the rest of the way home in silence as he was too preoccupied with his own thoughts to switch on the radio.

he couldn't have meant what he said, right? he was just drunk. he didn't know what he was doing...

once oikawa arrived at home, he threw himself on the living room couch before pulling out his phone to text the setters.