Chapter LXVII: Till We're Fixed from the Inside

So I propose a toast
To fists unraveling, to glass unshattering
To breaking all the rules, to breaking bread again
We're swallowing light, we're swallowing our pride
We're raising our glass, till we're fixed from the inside

"Taste"
Sleeping At Last

LUCY:

After spending the morning of our Hogsmeade visit at Honeyduke's and Gladrags Wizardwear, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I made our way to the place Sirius told us to meet him. I couldn't help but be a little nervous. I tried to force my worries from my mind, but just before we rounded the last bend, I couldn't stop myself.

"Do you think Sirius will like me?" I burst out.

Ron laughed. "You're about to meet someone who 365 days ago we all thought was a mass murderer out to kill Harry, and you're worried about him liking you?"

I blushed. "Well, yeah." Last time I met him, I did try to kill him... I was in my werewolf form at the time, but still...

"You worry too much," Harry said matter-of-factly. He grinned. "And you can stop worrying now, because there he is!"

Surely enough, a big black dog with newspapers in its mouth was watching us approach, wagging its tail excitedly. After sniffing Harry's bag, Sirius turned around and trotted away. We followed him out of the village and up into the hills. After about half an hour, we reached a rock fissure that led to a cave.

The second Buckbeak saw me, he started straining at his ropes.

"It would seem you have a friend, Lucy," Sirius commented, now a human.

I smiled, cheeks flushing as I pulled a piece of three-day-old bread from my pocket. "I think he's hoping I have this."

Surely enough, at the sight of his favorite snack, Buckbeak strained even harder. As Sirius dove into the bag of food Harry had carried, I rushed forward and threw my arms around Buckbeak's neck, burying my face in his feathers. He bent his head low around me in response like a hug. I pulled away and offered him the bread, which he devoured in a single swallow.

"You're lucky I have two pockets, Beaky," I said with a shake of my head as I pulled out the second piece. Once that one disappeared too, I turned back to the group.

"What're you doing here, Sirius?" Harry asked.

"Fulfilling my duty as godfather. I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade, I'd draw attention to myself. Don't worry about it, though, I'm pretending to be a lovable stray." He tore a massive piece off the drumstick in his hand and looked up at Harry, who didn't seem to find this attempt at humor very funny. I knew Harry was worried --- and I couldn't really blame him, I was worried too. But at the same time, it was nice knowing Sirius was there to support Harry; Merlin knows Harry needed it. "I want to be on the spot. Your last letter... well, let's just say things are getting fishier. I've been stealing the paper every time someone throws one out, and by the looks of things, I'm not the only one who's getting worried."

"What if they catch you? What if you're seen?"

"You four and Dumbledore are the only ones around here who know I'm an Animagus."

I shifted, thinking to myself, Harry, if I can keep being a werewolf a secret from almost everyone for nearly ten years... Sirius will be fine. Hermione glanced at me as if she'd read my mind and bit back a smile.

Ron and Harry pored over the newspapers together. I grabbed one of the chicken bones and tossed it to Buckbeak. He lowered himself to his haunches, inviting me to sit with him. I did so, and Hermione and I stroked his feathers.