Chapter LXXXIII: Too Late

GEORGE:

"Look, boys, I'm just as worried about her as you are," Professor Lupin said, massaging his forehead. "Believe me. But that doesn't mean we can just show up on her doorstep. It's entirely possible her family is grieving privately, and we can't intrude upon that, as concerning as the silence is."

Fred and I exchanged a heavy look. It had been the same conversation all week. Everybody was worried, but nobody wanted to risk making a bad situation worse. Mad-Eye had warned us all, too, that apparating to the Diggory doorstep could very well kill us — according to him, Susan Diggory would probably fire spells first and ask questions later, especially after the article in the Daily Prophet had proven to be so controversial.

"If Harry tells us she doesn't say anything for his birthday, George and I are going ourselves." Fred crossed his arms over his chest. "We know Lucy. While it's incredibly out of character not to reply to letters for nearly a month now, forgetting or ignoring Harry's birthday is a sure sign something is seriously wrong. His birthday is today, so if he responds to our letter saying he didn't hear from her at all, we're going to go find out why."

Dad cleared his throat, and I glanced over, fearing a protest. Instead, he nodded, staring down at the floor. "That's fair. But I'll go with you, just so-"

Dad was interrupted by a loud crack. Percy was suddenly standing in the middle of the kitchen.

He looked thoroughly distraught. It was the most emotional I had ever seen him. "Dad! Professor Lupin! I went home to get one of my old schoolbooks for reference, and the Dark Mark was over the Diggorys' house, I could see it from the Burrow, and I would have gone myself, but I knew better than to go alone and-"

"Say no more," Professor Lupin said, disappearing with a crack. Dad followed suit, and Percy followed half a second later.

Fred and I didn't think twice before disapparating too.

We landed with a thud on the dirt road just outside the property line.

Fear like I had never known before filled my chest at the sign of the Dark Mark hovering above the house. I couldn't breathe.

Before my brain could even comprehend the sight before us, instinct shouted at me to move. The five of us sprinted forward at the same time, wands drawn.

It was quiet. Too quiet.

Completely silent, I realized.

We were too late.

Professor Lupin and Dad fired two "Homenum revelio"s ahead of us.

There were no people in the house.

The front door was wide open, so we entered without difficulty.

We saw Mr. Diggory's body first, at the base of the stairs.

I remembered learning in DADA with Moody — well, with Fake Moody — that being killed by the Killing Curse stops the body from decaying, ironically enough. I learned that day that it was true. He could have been asleep if not for the way his eyes stared at the ceiling and his face was frozen in a shocked expression.

"He was trying to guard someone," Professor Lupin muttered, hurrying up the stairs.

I refused to let myself consider the possibility that Lucy was dead. I followed him next, everyone else on my heels.

Mrs. Diggory was in the hallway, surrounded by broken glass. Her wand was still clutched within her grasp. She had tried to fight back.

"Oh Merlin," Percy choked out behind me. I could barely hear him over the blood roaring in my ears.