Chapter LVI: Dream Away These Fears

The fear that we feel in our troubled hearts
Is told to be what will make us last
We'll prove that we are strong
Though our lines are bleeding through
We are becoming whole, slowly now
We just need some sleep
To dream away these fears
We just need some time
To clear our crowded minds

"Slowly, Now"
Sleeping At Last

LUCY:

"The Hogwarts champion is Cedric Diggory!"

The room exploded as Cedric headed into the chamber with Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum.

You did it, Ced, I found myself thinking, smiling and clapping along with everyone else. Now you have the chance you said you wanted.

When the uproar was finally reduced to excited whispers, I made eye contact with Henry across the room and flashed him a thumbs up. He sent one right back.

"Party?" he mouthed. "Our common room?"

I nodded. "I'll be there!"

"Excellent! Well, we now have our three champions!" Professor Dumbledore said. "I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real-"

The Goblet of Fire suddenly flared red... a fourth time. Every student in the room watched, transfixed, as a fourth piece of parchment emerged, and Dumbledore reached up a fourth time to grab it out of the air. He stared the name, blinked, and stared at it some more. A fourth champion?

Professor Dumbledore's deep voice filled the silent hall. "Harry Potter."

I felt as if I'd been punched in the gut. I turned to face Harry. His face was pale, and he looked just as stunned as everyone else. He looked at Ron on his left, then Hermione on his right, then at me across the table.

"I didn't put my name in. You know I didn't."

I nodded. But Ron and Hermione only stared at Harry, as if they had reason to doubt him. I swallowed, my throat suddenly dry, and tried to find the words to say, but before I got the chance, I was interrupted by Professor Dumbledore.

"Harry Potter! Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Hermione hissed, shoving him up from the table. He sent me one last despairing look before walking to the front of the room.

When Harry had disappeared into the same chamber that we had all watched Viktor and Fleur and Cedric walk through, Professor Dumbledore addressed the hall with only a fraction of his typical confidence.

"Well... that concludes the selection of the Triwizard Champions! You are now all free to return to your dormitories, carriages, and ships."

"Harry did it!" Fred shouted as the Great Hall erupted with hundreds of voices at once. "I think this calls for a party! Hey, without Quidditch, we need something to celebrate!"

The masses of Gryffindors around us cheered, but I couldn't shake the fear that had wrapped itself around my stomach.

The twins were so caught up in their rushed party preparation I was able to fall to the very back of the crowd without them noticing. Thankfully, no one else noticed either, so I followed everyone up to the common room in silence.

When everyone else jumped through the portrait hole, though, I turned on my heel and started heading down the stairs to the Hufflepuff common room, suddenly jolting from my stupor and remembering I had promised Henry I'd be there at Cedric's party.