Chapter XVI: It Could Stay This Simple

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up,
Don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up,
Don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

"Never Grow Up"
Taylor Swift

LUCY:

When I opened my eyes again, I was in my bedroom. I sat up and glanced over toward my roommates' beds. Lavender and Parvati were gone, but Hermione was sitting on her bed, nose in a book.

"Wait, how did I get here?" I mumbled. "I don't even remember falling asleep."

Hermione answered without looking up from her book. "You fell asleep in the courtyard after running out of the Great Hall. Cedric brought you to the portrait hole, Fred and George brought you into the common room, then Skye brought you up here."

I glanced down quickly, relieved to see I was still in my robes and no one tried to change me into pajamas. The last thing I needed was everyone seeing my scars, especially the scar. My relief was temporary, however. "Wait, oh Godric, what does everyone else think happened?"

She shook her head. "Cedric used the story we agreed upon. They just think you were so stressed you more or less self-destructed. Cedric and I also agreed you should miss classes today."

I couldn't believe my ears. Hermione and Cedric of all people, encouraging me to skip classes? "No! I can't! I mean, I actually managed to sleep the night before a full moon. I don't remember the last time that happened. I feel so much better than usual-"

"Which is why Cedric and I decided you are staying here today." She closed her book and looked me in the eyes. "Lucy, you missing class today makes our story more believable. You want that, don't you?"

"But what about Quidditch?" I protested. "Professor McGonagall doesn't let us go to practice if we miss that day's classes. Skye would kill me if I miss-"

"That reminds me, Skye said you don't have to go to practice today." She sat on the foot of my bed and smiled her most innocent smile. "You're staying here today, Lucy, and that's that. If Skye Parkin of all people agrees that it's okay for you to take a break on top of your brother and your best friend, you've been overruled."

I slumped against my pillow. "But I feel better."

"So there's no reason to go out there, where you'll feel worse. Lucy," she lowered her voice, "Cedric was so happy to hear you were still asleep when I headed down to the Great Hall this morning. If not for yourself, do it for him. He wants you to stay here today because he knows you'll feel better if you do."

I sighed. "Okay. I'll stay."

She smiled. "Good." She glanced at her wristwatch. "Well, now that you're convinced, I'm going to head to class. I'll come get you half an hour before sunset, alright? You have no reason to leave this room, okay?"

"Okay," I said through a yawn. "Take care of Neville and Harry and Ron for me."

"Will do. Get some rest."

With that, she slipped out the door and I heard her footsteps all the way until she left the portrait hole.

I really did feel better than I had felt on the day of a full moon in a long time, but it was still a full moon. I had slept all through the night, but I could already feel the anxious energy beginning to buzz anew through my veins. As much as I would have loved to sleep the day away, I knew it to be impossible.