Chapter XCII: A Delinquent

HARRY:

My eyes snapped open the morning of my hearing, and for a moment, I let myself linger in my dread. Then the moment passed, and fear propelled me out of bed with the speed of a Golden Snitch. I hurriedly changed into jeans and a T-shirt and slipped out of the room, careful not to wake Ron. I knew it was practically impossible to wake him anyway; he was almost as deep a sleeper as Lucy, who I fervently hoped was still sound asleep down the hall.

She wasn't. She was at the kitchen table, twirling a quill around her fingers as she stared blankly at the stacks of envelopes and parchment in front of her, Tuck snoring at her feet.

Tonks was there too, next to Professor Lupin, who was next to Sirius. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were across the table, and it appeared that the empty seat between Mr. Weasley and Lucy was intended for me.

Sirius grinned when he saw me observing the scene from the doorway. "She claimed she wanted to get an early start on replying to her fan mail, but when she started glancing over her shoulder every thirty seconds, we reckoned she just wanted to see you off."

Lucy snapped from her daze and turned to face me, pale cheeks flushing a bit. "It's not fan mail, but... I thought today would be a good day to try to get through all of these," she said, gesturing to the envelopes.

I tried to eat as conversation swirled around the table. I found it hard to pay attention until I was addressed directly.

"How are you feeling?" Mr. Weasley asked.

I shrugged in response, knowing I wouldn't be able to talk around the anxious lump in my throat.

"It'll all be over soon. In a few hours' time you'll be cleared. The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones's office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and she's the one who'll be questioning you."

Tonks nodded. "Amelia Bones is okay, Harry. She's fair, she'll hear you out."

"She's the one who ultimately got everyone to just read the report and drop my charges," Lucy added quietly. I blinked at her, surprised. Lucy? Charges? What did she do? But she offered no further explanation, so I glanced away.

"Don't lose your temper. Be polite and stick to the facts," Sirius advised.

"The law's on your side. Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations," Professor Lupin said with a sigh.

Mrs. Weasley started running a wet comb through my hair, but it was no use. "Doesn't it ever lie flat?"

I shook my head.

"Hey, Harry," Lucy said suddenly, passing me a letter. "Want to read Fleur's letter? There's something in here she intended for me to share with you."

"Sure," I said. I unfolded the piece of parchment and did my best to decipher the flowery handwriting.

Dearest Lucy,

   How are you? This summer has not been terribly kind to you, but I hope you are doing well nonetheless.

   I have good news! I will be moving to England! I got a job at Gringotts, and I am hoping to improve my English. I will have to tell you all about my new job when I see you again, which is hopefully sooner than later because I will be so close.

   I thought you might like to know that Maxence made the ultimate fool out of himself upon our return to Beauxbatons. Those Galleons Draco Malfoy gave him in February? He had a bit too much firewhisky and decided it would be a good idea to play Exploding Écarté on our last night at school. He lost it all in a bet. Karma is funny, is it not?