Chapter CLXXVII: Dancing with the Devil

LUCY:

I reluctantly turned away from Marietta and let Harry guide me by the shoulder to the end of the hallway. As soon as we rounded the corner, I shook him off, and we proceeded side by side through the hallways at a fast clip.

The Gryffindor common room wasn't very far from the Headmaster's office. It was remarkable how rapidly my anger mounted in the four silent minutes spent walking to the portrait hole.

I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't believe it.

Harry gestured for me to go in first. Normally I would have rolled my eyes and muttered something about how chivalry was dumb and shoved him through in front of me, but I was absolutely livid.

I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't believe it.

"HERMIONE GRANGER," I roared, "TELL ME THAT'S NOT PERMANENT."

She was sitting by herself off to the side of the common room gnawing her fingernails when she heard me. She glanced up, genuine confusion on her face.

"What do you mean?"

I stormed across the room until I was towering over her. "You know what I mean. What you did to Marietta. Is it permanent?"

"Oh!" She laughed. Laughed. "Yes, it is. Marietta, was it?"

I staggered backward. She was laughing. Laughing.

"I was never quite sure about Marietta, but I suppose we've all learned our lesson now, her especially," she continued, shaking her head. "It was a tricky enchantment, let me tell you. I almost asked you to help, since you're so good with Charms, but you seemed to have enough going on and I ended up figuring it out by myself in the end. I did manage to make it permanent, though. Brilliant, if I do say so myself."

"Brilliant?" I repeated, positively quaking with anger. I barked out a harsh laugh and clenched my fists to try to contain my magic. "Oh, yes, Hermione, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, you are."

Hermione furrowed her brow. "I don't know why you're—"

"Why I'm so upset? Allow me to explain. You mean to tell me that you permanently disfigured Marietta's face?"

"Yes...?"

"To punish her for ratting out the D.A.?"

"Yes, exactly. I still don't know why you're—"

"Is this your idea of a joke?" I snapped. "Because if it is, I'm not laughing."

"What on earth are you on about, Lucy?" she asked, jumping to her feet and crossing her arms over her chest defensively.

"I can't believe you would do something like this!" I burst out. "You're cruel, Hermione, cruel."

"All I did was make sure we got our justice if something like this happened! Merlin knows there's a fat chance of that happening with Umbridge here!"

"Justice?"

"Justice for us, punishment for whoever ratted us out, call it whatever you want!" Hermione huffed. "I fail to see why this is so catastrophic to you."

"You fail to see— LOOK AT ME!"

She rolled her eyes and shrugged. "I'm looking."

"PERMANENT DISFIGURATION IS YOUR IDEA OF PUNISHMENT?" I shouted. "MERLIN'S BEARD, ARE YOU THICK OR JUST—"

"Just what?" Hermione challenged. "I'm the furthest thing from thick. I thought ahead. I did what I had to do."

Merlin, I wanted to tear my hair out. "YOU WANTED HER TO WALK AROUND EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE REMINDED OF ONE MISTAKE?"