43. Blame It On Me

Third Person’s P.O.V.

Jin wasn’t sure what was going on.

He saw his father have an actual normal conversation with Taehyung while he waited in anticipation for a bomb to drop any minute.

His mother was still stiffly avoiding speaking to them, a disinterested greeting and a bland ‘I’m happy for you’ was all she had graced him on his birthday. He hated accepting the gift they had brought, feeling insulted to be treated like a complete outcast by his parents.

However, his father was still not talking to him. He tried to man up and ask him to speak to him too, and yet after a few minutes of being completely avoided he decided to pull away from Taehyung’s side and walked up to a corner trying his best to gulp down the hurt and keep the warm tears building in his eyes from running out.

“Don’t be upset Jin, today’s your day” Namjoon came to raise his spirits as he leaned over the railing and saw Jin quickly rub away the tears. “I know it must be hard, but at least they seem to be coming around” he spoke, eyes a bit inquisitive as well when he saw Mr. Kim in serious conversation with Taehyung, which he found a bit odd knowing how they had reacted to Seokjin and Taehyung’s wedding.

“Yeah, I hurt his ego…crushed it actually, I don’t think he’s ever going to forgive me for that” Jin mumbled almost to himself still sad and Namjoon tried to cheer him up. “Hey, what matters the most is that you’re happy right now, right?”

“I am” he saw Jin smile and steal a glance at Taehyung as he spoke the words, a soft warm smile gracing his lips “I really am”.

“Then that’s all that matters, good luck with the new restaurant, although I’m sure  soon it’s gonna be the talk of the town” Namjoon smiled, he knew about Seokjin’s gifts and as a friend had always tried to support him.

“I can’t ever thank you enough, if it wasn’t for you I’d never would have gotten where I am today” Jin smiled, forgetting his tears and Namjoon felt an urgent need to tell him the truth that it was actually Taehyung and not him who had ensured that he got into cooking school, wanted him to know that he did not need to be grateful for it because it was not actually a selfless aid but a contract of him being entrapped.

Although things were all better now, there was a time when he had regretted agreeing to Taehyung’s twisted tricks and no matter how many times he told himself he had only followed Taehyung’s childish wishes and hadn’t done anything wrong or betrayed Jin’s trust, he knew that not doing bad doesn’t actually make one good.

He knew about the games Taehyung had played, he knew his intentions to trap Seokjin, he knew he had done wrong in not telling Jin anything. But the thing that had made him stay silent is Seokjin suddenly accepting Taehyung and the two getting married out of the blue!

So, he just believed it was better not to dig up old graves, they looked happy and that’s all that mattered.

From the moment he had seen him enter the space, Taehyung’s eyes constantly followed the movements of his uncle as he saw him interacting with the other guests, the board being there heartily welcomed him believing him an obvious invitee but what irked Taehyung the most was when he saw him edging towards where Jin remained busy gushing over the twins with Juhee and the others.

“You did a wonderful job Seokjin, the house looks as good as the old times” he spoke drawing Jin’s attention as the other turned to give a short nod and a too forced smile, Taehyung’s pained words burning in the back of his mind “Thank you”.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything, Taehyung didn’t tell me it was your birthday today” he said eyeing the celebrations “I’m aware I’m not welcome but I was a bit hurt to think that I won’t get to see the place I had once helped to build, so I came anyway…it makes me feel nostalgic already”