52. Strange New Beginnings

Seokjin’s P.O.V.

I watched as he held my hand, and an odd uneasiness took over me thinking if I was stepping into another foolish game that’d lead me to get hurt a second time.

“We can” his voice was so hopeful that it made me look at him and the sense of blissful assurance that was pooling in his eyes, that eager gleam put optimism in my weak unsure heart.

“We definitely can” he spoke smiling, his fingers tightening around my palm and I gulped looking back at the lady who was blinking at us with curious confused eyes. His eyes can really startle me at times…I do stupid things being engulfed by them.   

“When can I see them?” I asked feeling Taehyung follow my gaze and she began shuffling through the papers again before she set out a few forms that were to be filled.

“A couple of hours” she spoke handing me the pen and guiding me to fill it up.

We had to answer a few more questions, like where we’d be living, how we were going to manage our work with this new responsibility and then gave us every single little detail about the twins from their latest health issues to their food habits.

It was after she left that I realized what I had actually done, fear came tumbling onto my restive heart and I was soon pulling my hand away from Taehyung’s grip only to realize he had caught onto my restlessness and denied to let me pull myself away.

“You’re gonna come back home, right?” He asked with almost a plea in his voice.

I didn’t know what to actually say, I really am not sure about what this could lead to but then…I am terribly scared to take up the responsibility of looking after the twins by myself, I have never really been a child-friendly person…heck I have never even taken care of a pet!

“Jin?” His expectant eyes were waiting for my reply and I didn’t know what to say.

“Yeah, I guess…the apartment’s too small” I mumbled looking around in a fretful glance and caught how neat n clean everything looked, unlike the usual state I had been living in since the fight. I hardly bothered to pay attention at anything, what’s the point anyway when my life was an utter mess.

My brows furrowed in confusion to even think that Taehyung had been cleaning…?! The guy who would make it a point to scatter things wherever he went, be it in our home or our lives, had been cleaning the apartment, feeding me and even taking care of me for the last few days.

“I’ll tell Gyo to bring the car around” he spoke, his fingers gently caressing the back of my palm and I could feel his warm gaze on me as I kept looking everywhere but him just nodding half-heartedly to the words.

“What is it? You don’t look very good Jin…feeling feverish again?” He spoke before I felt his palm press on my forehead and flinched back. “I-I’m fine…it’s okay” I hurriedly assured standing up instantly and getting busy on my phone as I began gathering some stuff while he sat watching me with a dumbfounded face.

He has been so oddly unlike himself these past few days, so patient, understanding and quiet that it’s making me wonder about what’s going on with him. I keep hearing loud warnings from inside my head…every single thing blaring out against my decision and I felt like running away, put everything behind me…the pain, the hurt, the fear and that gnawing need to feel loved again.

But as Gyo drove us and we sat with Jeno and Jisung cuddled in our arms in the car, I felt a heavy sense of responsibility slowly taking over me…and I knew that my life was going to change completely from what it had been.

It wasn’t about accommodating someone into my life anymore…this time it was creating a life with them at the centre of it and I promised myself I’d try my best to give them everything…even if it meant I’d have to compromise my principles a bit.