✰ 39

I looked through the brochure as Kai drove down the highway. She wasn't exactly fond of me going camping for a weekend. Only because she was worried that I would get sick from how cold it was, and because she would miss me terribly if I left for two days. I tried to tell her it was fine, but I couldn't even convince myself that. It was way too cold to be living outside, and nature and I didn't get along very well. "Wow, we're going kayaking. We're doing team-building exercises, and every night we have to sit by the fire and tell stories." I heard Kai laughing and I looked up from the brochure to look at her. "What?"

"It's like a little kid's camp. I really wish you didn't have to go, but at least you get paid for it right? You get paid to hang out with a bunch of losers," she said as she came to a stop at a stop light. I punched her shoulder and she groaned. "What the fuck!?"

"Harper isn't a loser. Neither is Johnathan, Cindy, Larry, Julie or Pam. We're all just very different people working at one company. We're all just trying to live to pay our bills and to provide food for our own families. It's not as easy as you think Kai. Everything is handed to you," I replied. Kai looked over at me and raised her brows at me, but then turned back to face the road once the light turned green.

"I think you constantly forget that I wasn't born rich. I had a rough upbringing. A nearly poor upbringing, just like you, Athena." I kissed Kai's cheek softly and she gave me a soft smile. "So, how was your day, angel?"

"Well, I've spent most of the day eating all the chocolate you brought me. Harper ate a good amount of it, too. I took some calls, and got cursed out a few times. So, you know, it was a normal day. Nothing too crazy. How was your day, drug lord?"

Kai chuckled as she shrugged her shoulders. "Finally got some answers out of James. The Buffs are being ran being by the ex-leaders son. He's back for the vengeance of his father's death. He wants me to suffer. Thanks to James, we know exactly where he's living. We're going to have some boys raid his house when the timing is right, but we're just taking everything slow right now. Also, Jamal nearly burned down the kitchen. He was trying to fry fries, and grease was popping everywhere and he was jumping back like a little pussy. I let Michaela out for some fresh air. Jett walked around the neighborhood with her and brought her back. So, nothing too bad, right? It's not like I killed anyone or took any fingers. Speaking of fingers, I let Porky go visit his family since he's become a more respectable man. Now, I have to call him by his real name. Charlie, which is just as stupid as Porky if you ask me."

I laughed a bit and began clapping my hands as Kai pulled alongside my house. "I am so proud of you, baby! You're getting better." Kai rolled her eyes playfully, and we both got out of the car. When I opened the front door, all my siblings were standing in the living room with serious expressions. They all seemed deep in their thoughts, Ryker especially. He had his arms crossed as he stared at a young girl that seemed to be his age. Beside her was my father, who had a beer and a pile of papers in his hands. Ryker snatched the papers from him and began looking through them. "What's going on," I asked as I walked to stand beside Ryker. I looked down at the papers in his hands and then up to the girl. She had blue eyes just like me, and our hair color was the same. She looked almost like me when I was a bit younger.

I looked towards Dad, and he took a swig of his beer. He pointed towards the girl, and gave me a soft smile. "Athena meet your long lost sister, Sage." I crinkled my eyebrows as my heart dropped. How the hell did we have a long lost sister that was around Ryker's age? I think I would've at least heard Dad and Mom yelling when I was younger about one of them having an affair, and I would remember Mom being pregnant if she was the one to have the affair. Ryker handed me the papers, as he stared at our newly found sister. I looked down at the papers also. It was basically all her information. Mom and Dad were listed as her parents. My eyes scanned down to the birthdate, and my heart began thumping rapidly. I looked from Ryker to the girl standing across from him. She was born the exact same day Ryker was. I remembered Mom enthusing when she was pregnant with Ryker. She was happy about having two, and I was four so I was excited too. Then the day of the birth, she was in tears when I asked her where the second baby was. She said that the other one decided she didn't want to come with us. When I got older, I put two and two together and assumed the baby died, but here she was, staring at me right in the eyes.