✰ 22

After dozens of calls, and sending bland emails to consumers, it was finally time for me to get off. Throughout the day, I gained a bit more energy and now I was ready to see Kai. She promised that she'd teach me how to play basketball after work, and I was looking forward to a bit of hands-on action with her. I began walking to towards the elevator, but someone called my name. I turned around to see Harper jogging up to me. Once she finally reached me, she wagged her car keys in my face. "Notice that you take the train here, we can carpool if you'd like. Where do you live?"

"That's nice and all, Harper, but really I'm fine with taking the L. I've been taking it all of my life," I replied nonchalantly. "Plus, I live in Englewood. I don't think you'd feel comfortable in an area like that." Harper was about to say something, but I continued talking, "Really, thank you for the offer. I might take it up when it's raining one day, but today I think I can stick to walking and taking the train." I gave Harper a polite smile. I didn't want to seem rude or anything. Her offer really was flattering, but unnecessary.

The girl nodded her head at me as the corner of her lips turned up. "Of course, but just know, I'm always available. You can always ride me, I mean, catch a ride with me." I watched as Harper's face turned as red as a tomato, and I tried not to laugh at her misfortune. We stood there in front of each other, her looking down at the carpet, and me trying not to hold back laughter. I wondered if what she said was just a simple mix-up of words, or if I possibly made her sexually frustrated. Either way, it didn't matter. Harper wasn't my type, and honestly Kai had me knotted down. "I'm sorry about that. Sometimes I fail at speech," she joked, which gave me the opportunity to let out my laugh.

"It's okay," I said through a fit of giggles. "I better go. I'll see you tomorrow." I waved goodbye to Harper before finally stepping on the elevator.

I made my way straight to Kai's humongous house. Of course, there were cars parked all along the driveway and by the way the cars looked, they didn't belong to her. Kai always had to the high end vehicles, cars that you would only see on television. The cars in her yard were more of the typical cars you see every day, so I assumed she had some of her dealers over. I took a deep breath, and walked up to the front door. Loud music could be heard coming from inside of the home. Bracing myself, I knocked onto the front door that probably cost more than my whole house. There was no telling who would open the door, it could be one of her dealers, one of her friends, a naked woman, or anyone. I just hoped it was Kai. The door opened and I sighed with relief. It wasn't Kai, but it was one of her friends: Phoenix. "Yo. What's up, Athena?" I could hear a couple of people laughing in the background but by the way Phoenix was leant against the doorframe, I couldn't see anyone behind him. "I'm assuming you're looking for Kai. She's up in her room, but I'm sure you know where that's at."

My cheeks flushed. Sure, I knew where Kai's room was but not because of any sexual reason. Only because I had to clean it, when we first met. Phoenix moved aside, and I stepped into the cloudy home. I looked towards Kai's living room and there was a girl on her knees in front a fancy, glassy coffee table. She was snorting cocaine and giggling as a couple of guys watched on with mischievous smirks on their faces. I frowned with disgust, but made my way up the spiral staircase, and down the long hallway to Kai's room. It'd be rude for me to just walk in so I knocked, and Kai came to the door almost immediately. A smile spread across her face when she saw me. "I was waiting for you," she said before pulling me into a hug. I smiled also at the feeling of her warm body. Her warmth was like heaven since it was a bit chilly outside. Stepping back from the hug, I looked over Kai. She wore fit Adidas sweatpants and a slightly loose Nike sweatshirt. If Gabby saw her mismatching brands, she'd have a cow.

Kai stepped aside and let me into her room. I walked in, and nodded my head approvingly. "Clean, just like I left it," I said as I examined a picture frame on her dresser. It was picture of Kai and an older woman, who assumed was her grandmother. The picture seemed recent, but I wasn't sure.