✰ 36

I walked into my bedroom toting a bag of food for Athena and me. Since, she was still sleeping when I woke up, I decided to grab us brunch. After waiting in line at the overpopulated drive-thru of McDonald's, I was finally back home to my girl. Part of me hoped that she hadn't woke up yet. I'm sure she thought I was an asshole for just leaving her after the sex we had the night before. When I stepped a foot in the room, the first thing I heard was sniffling. I looked over to my bed to see Athena sitting on the edge of it. Her body was wrapped in a towel, and she was wiping her eyes with her hands. A frown appeared on my face, and I quickly walked over to her. She looked up to me, her eyes were watery and puffy. "Athena, what's wrong," I asked as I sat down beside her. She wrapped her arms around me, and I sat down the bag of food to wrap my arms around her as well. I kissed her forehead softly. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm sorry." I furrowed my brows at the girl. "I thought she was you," she replied softly. "But she wasn't."

"Athena, what are you talking about?"

"Jett was taking a shower in your bathroom. I got in with her because I thought she was you, but it wasn't. When I saw it wasn't you, I jumped out, and Jett got mad at me. She asked me if I was stupid, and she called me a slut. She thinks I want to have sex with her, but I don't Kai. I really love you. I find her attractive, but that's all. I promise." I held Athena tightly in my arms, and shushed her. She didn't have to prove that she loved me. I knew she did. She took me back after I kissed my ex, and pushed her. There was no doubt in my mind about the feelings that Athena had for me. I was just angry with Jett. She had no right to talk to Athena in that manner.

"Jett can be an asshole. I'm sorry. She's not a morning person," I whispered before kissing the top of her head. "You're far from a slut, and you're not stupid, okay? Fuck her. I'm going to smack the shit out of her when I see her. She won't hurt your feelings again, Athena." I wiped away Athena's tears, and gave her a small smile. She smiled also, and I could tell it was genuine. "On to better news, I got us brunch. That's why I wasn't here when you woke up. I thought the best way to start the day is with Mcnuggets, right?" Athena giggled as I pulled the food out of the bag. I handed her, her food and took mine as well.

"Uh, Kai? Half of my fries are gone," Athena said with a frown. I gave her a sweet smile and she pushed me playfully. "I take the whole 'I love you' thing back. I love you until you fuck with my food."

"Well, I'm sorry. I was trying to be a perfect girlfriend. I risked my life by going out into the streets of Chicago, where hundreds of people want me killed. I waited in a long line with other unhealthy Americans just to get you and I french fries made of artificial potatoes, and chicken nuggets made out of pink slime." I was obviously being overdramatic about the whole situation. Athena laughed at me before taking one of my nuggets. "What the hell!?"

"Eat my fries, I eat your nuggets!"

"Eat my nuggets, and I'll eat your pu-heart."

"Smooth recovery."

After having brunch, I walked down the stairs to find Jett. Athena was taking her shower, and I was happy that she was happy now. But now I had to have a talk with Jett. When I walked downstairs, I found her sitting on the couch with Jamal. They were watching a silly, animated television show. "Hey," I said as I walked into the room. Jett looked up at me, and groaned. I guess she could tell that Athena had told me everything. Jamal gave both of us a confused look.

Jett stood up from the couch and wasted no time to explain herself. "Look, I may have been overly mean to Athena. I'm just trying to be a good friend." I stared at Jett confusedly. How was she being a good friend by calling my girlfriend a slut? "Kai, you know you and I have a history with girls. You're always taking mine or I'm always taking yours. You and Athena have something special going on. I don't want to come between you two, but I can tell by the way she looks at me that she wants me. I'd never take a girl away from you that you love. I've never fucked with Emily and I won't fuck with Athena. I'm just saying that you need to keep your eyes out on her. Remember how you thought Emily was good? How do you know Athena isn't putting up an act or something? I'm just trying to guard your heart. It might sound lame, but I think we all remember that depressed state that you went through after Emily."