✰ 17

The stadium was a good drive away, which allowed my brothers and sisters to embarrass me multiple times. Ryker kept trying to hit on Jett, and he continued to try to hit on her until she actually hit him. Trystan brought his stupid lizard and at one point he lost it, but then it was found on top of a screaming Lauren’s head. Lauren talked a lot to Jamal about African American history and heritage and about civil rights. Jamal seemed very intrigued and entertained about the whole thing, and Lauren was talking passionately. One thing about her, she was overdramatic and could talk about something that worried her for days. Gabby sat right between Kai and I. She was goggling Kai’s watch, and necklace. They had a conversation about rich clothing labels that I didn’t know anything about. Most of the conversation was Gabby telling the older girl about the importance of fashion and how good she looked. Alec and Felix took a liking to Phoenix. They were talking about basketball which I knew nothing about. Then there was me, I was talking to Noa, Mariana and Rico to occupy my time since Gabby was occupying Kai’s.

When we got to the stadium, we got led up to a private section by a man in a red and black suit. His hair was slicked back, and he was overly excited. We walked into what the man called an ‘executive suite’, and I thought most of the kids were going to lose their shit. In the suite, there was a buffet full of cooked, delicious-looking food, a liquor cabinet, a refrigerator, and two rows of leather seats that sat in front of rails with small tops to put food and drinks on. “There’s complimentary beer in the refrigerator. If you need anything, don’t be afraid to call me,” the man said as he pointed over to an old school telephone that was hung on the wall. He gave us one last smile before saying, “Enjoy your time.” I turned and walked towards the rails that oversaw the basketball court. Matty was in my arms clapping excitedly about being in such a nice place.

“Look at the tall men play,” I gushed as I pointed down at the basketball court.

“Basketball. I play?”

I laughed and kissed his cheek. “I hope so. You can make us filthy rich.” I began tickling him and he giggled as he pushed my hands away.

“Stop, Ena!”

Turning back around to face everyone else, I caught Trystan in the corner of my eye drinking from a beer bottle. I walked over and snatched the bottle from his hand. Ryker was standing right beside him with a bottle up to his lips also. “You’re just going to let your eight year old brother drink,” I scolded Ryker before pouring the beer Trystan had down the sink. In response, Trystan kicked my leg and stormed off. I rolled my eyes and stared expectantly at Ryker for an explanation. “He’s already crazy enough.”

“This whole family is crazy, Athena. Dad started drinking when he was like five. Grandma used to splash a bit of Bud Light in his apple juice,” Ryker joked. I rolled my eyes at him and he laughed as he took Matty from my arms. “Just chill, Athena. Have a good time.” He nodded his head over to Kai, who was standing in front of a flat screen television. “Go talk to Kai. I’ll make sure Matty is safe.” I stared at the eighteen year old boy for a long time, and he took a sip from his beer. “Seriously, you’re always worried about us. We’re Merricks, no matter what effort we put in, we’re still going to be fucked-up assholes. I learned that a long time ago.”

I sighed and looked back over at Kai who was now talking to Phoenix as they both watched the basketball players on the court, on the flat screen television. “Fine, but make sure Matty doesn’t get any of your beer. Don’t even kiss him since you’ve been drinking. If you start feeling woozy, give him to someone responsible like Noa.” Ryker nodded his head as he rolled his eyes mockingly. I gave him a stern look before finally walking over to the two best friends. When I walked over, they didn’t notice me so I just stood there and stared at the screen too. I watched as the players messed around on the court. Finally, I felt a pair of eyes on me and I turned to stare in the green orbs. “Hi,” I said awkwardly. She chuckled and wrapped an arm around my waist. My cheeks flushed as she kissed my cheek.