✰ 23

Finally, it was Friday. I haven’t valued a Friday this hard since high school days. My new job was a hassle. The first couple of days, things were slow, but it seemed like as I got used to my job, more things were thrown at me. I was attending lame employee meetings, taking calls, sending e-mails, and being stared at by my older, perverted coworkers. After work, usually, I went home and cooked dinner and hung out with Kai, who I was getting more and more attracted to day by day. By now, there was no doubt in my mind that I was fascinated by her, and that I wanted to be with her. When I wasn’t with her, I missed her like crazy. I spent days daydreaming at work about her kiss, or how green her eyes were. It was almost obsessive, and definitely embarrassing, but I didn’t care.

Anyways, even though, it was Friday and it felt great to get out of this place for the weekend, I still had my job at the restaurant on the weekends. I wasn’t sure if I was going to keep that job or not. I mean, it was a nice job. Well, not really. The pay was crap, and so were some of the customers, but the co-workers, I was close to. There was Kat. The sultry English blonde that could always make me smile and laugh, and who always gave amazing advice. There was Jasmine. Even though, she wasn’t fond of Kai, I still considered her a friend. She worked hard for her and her family, and she always could hold my attention with her conversations. Finally, there was Noa. Sure, I see her just about every day since she’s my best friend and neighbor, but it was also nice having her in a work environment. She made shitty nights the best, and she was a hard worker. With that said, quitting the job would be a bit hard, but I deserved rest on the weekends. Plus, I had my very first game with the company tonight, and it was during my work hours. So, I would most likely be hours late to work, and I’d most likely get fired anyways.

I walked out of the building, and began walking down the somewhat crowded street towards the direction of the train station. Before I could walk a good ten steps, I heard a horn blow obnoxiously. Turning towards it, I sighed with relief when I saw a white sports car. I jogged up to the car and got into the passenger seat of the expensive vehicle. “Hey,” I chirped before looking over at Kai. She seemed a bit annoyed and I raised a brow up at her. “Bad day?” She nodded her head towards the backseat and I turned around. Noa was sitting there with a mischievous smile on her face. I laughed a bit. She must’ve annoyed Kai the whole car ride to come pick me up.

“She made me put in her Bruno Mars CD. Which, I have no problem with, but she keeps singing the songs in fucking Spanish. Do you know how fucking annoying that is,” Kai yelled as I tried not to laugh at her pain. She began driving as she shook her head, “I almost kicked her ass out in traffic.” In response, Noa kicked the back of Kai’s seat and the girl jolted up. “If we fucking die, just know it’s your fucking fault!”

“Your girlfriend is so dramatic for a drug lord,” Noa said into Kai’s ear, even though she was talking to me. I could see Kai’s knuckles getting whiter and whiter as she held on tightly to the steering wheel. Noa finally sat back in her seat and I turned around to face the road. As usual, traffic was backed up. “So, your game is at six, but you have to be at work by four. Right now, it’s three, so how the hell are you going to pull that off, Miss Athena,” Noa asked curiously.

I sighed. “Well, I certainly can’t be at two places at one time.”

“You should quit,” Kai suggested. I’m sure you’ll make enough money with your new job right,” she asked as she glanced over at me. I bit my lower lip and shrugged my shoulders. “You don’t want to quit?”

“I mean, I do have six siblings, and a drunk father to take care of. This one job is definitely not going to be enough,” I explained.

Noa sat up and peeked her head up to the front seat. “Talk to Jerry. Tell him that you want Fridays off, and you’re willing to work Saturdays and Sundays. He’ll get like a boner because it’s one less day to he has to pay someone. I’ll cover for you tonight, though. I’ll tell him that you came down with like a one day case of the flu,” Noa said with a shrug. “I’m sure he’ll be dumb enough to believe it. I just wish that I could be with you at your first game.”