✰ 20

I stared at the time in the corner of the computer's screen. 4:58. Only two more minutes until I got off from my new job. I thought, I'd just do an interview and go home, but my new boss hired me on the spot. He didn't ask any questions about my education or my past jobs. All he said was that he and Kai knew each other for a long time. He got one of his workers to show me around the office. Her name was Harper. She was a good guide, even though she was a bit too friendly. I don't think she meant to be overly touchy, but she was just genuinely nice. My whole job consisted of taking phone calls, and giving customers the run around about the products they bought from the company. The company was 'one of the biggest' companies in Chicago. They sold computer software, and from the calls I got today, their software was pretty shitty. People complained about how slow their computers were, or how they gotten a virus from our software. Then I had to persuade them to buy our Anti-Virus program, and I'm sure that made things worse, but at least I was getting paid.

"Enjoy your first day?" I looked up from the computer screen and turned to see Harper. She adjusted her nerdy glasses as she smiled at me, and I gave her friendly smile back.

"Uh, yeah. Having customers curse you out non-stop and calling your dead mother a whore takes some time to get used to, but I'm fine now." Harper's smile faded, and she tucked a few strands of her brunette locks behind her ear.

"Your mother died also?" The girl took a deep breath and I could see pain in her soft, brown eyes. "My mom passed away two years ago. Drunk driver."

My heart fell under the news and I bit my lower lip. I didn't know Harper but I felt sorry that she had to lose her mother that way. If my mother lost her life because of someone else's stupidity, I wouldn't know how to fathom. I'd want that person dead in a heartbeat. "I'm sorry. Mine died from an overdose seven years ago. She was a sweet woman, just didn't know how to deal with pain." Harper nodded and was about to say something else, but our boss walked up. The girl waved goodbye before walking away and I focused on Jonathan.

He looked like your typical businessman, except he was a bit younger. He had the clean shaved look, and the slicked back, neat sandy brown hair. Even though he said him and Kai were good friends, I couldn't see them hanging together. He was too politically correct, and Kai was the furthest thing from that. "Hoped you enjoyed your first day. I had some workers walk by and spy on you and they said you were a natural." The man put his heavy hand on my back to congratulate me and I gave him a fake smile. He quickly moved his hand from my back, and ran it through his neat hairstyle. "Uh, look, our company has just started this thing." I raised my brows up at him. "We have some of our younger, in-shape employees participate in a basketball tournament against other companies. It's very promotional, and the company who wins gets mugs." Mugs? Really?

I quickly shook my head as I began grabbing my things. "I know nothing about basketball," I said as I laughed a bit. "I'm horrible at it. I couldn't make a shot if my life depended on it. Plus, I'm pretty destructive. I don't want to ruin our chances of getting those free mugs, Jonathan." I started to walk past him but he put his hand on my back again. I turned to face him and pressed my lips together as he gave me an awkward smile.

"Here's the thing, Athena. We really need a new member on the team. Reese broke his ankle during one of the games and someone needs to take his place." I winced at the thought of breaking my ankle. "Please, you're new and you've taken a liking to Harper. She's on the team, and I'm sure she'd be happy to assist you with your poor skills." I sighed. As if I didn't have enough on my plate.

"I guess I can join in on the fun. It's the least I can do." Jonathan gave me a huge smile before motioning me to follow him. He led me into his large office and handed me a piece of paper.

"Here's the schedule for the season. You're lucky. You've only missed one game!"

"Woo, lucky me," I said sarcastically as I took the paper.