✰ 5

Luckily, no one was using the bathroom upstairs, and I ran in to take a shower before anyone could cut me in line. The water was cold as usual, but I was used to it by now. Having more than enough siblings, meant that the water was always cold unless you woke up exceptionally early, and it also meant that nine times out of ten, you’d have to wait to use the bathroom. After taking my shower, and getting dressed, I ran down the steps. When I got there, I was surprised to see all of the kids sitting at the table and eating McDonald’s. What the hell was going on? I scanned the table and I saw an unfamiliar face. Kai. What was she doing here? “Kai,” I asked with my brows furrowed.

“I thought you guys might be in need of some brunch so I got Mickey D’s. Don’t worry. There’s more food for you.” She pointed towards a bag that was sitting on the counter and I just stared at her a bit bewildered. I had just met her and she was already feeding my family and giving my little sister a watch. Most girls would go crazy over this, but I was a bit skeptical. She barely even knew me. Why was she being so kind if she was such a heartless drug lord? She probably just wanted to get in my pants, and as hot as she was, all she had to do was ask and I’d give it up to her. What? It’s not like I’m a whore, but she’s just so damn sexy. When it came to her, all the sense that I had was thrown out of the window.

“What did I tell you guys about letting strangers in the house,” I asked the kids before walking over to the bag. In the bag was a burger, and fries. I got the food and sat down at the table. The only seat available was the seat beside Kai. She handed me a drink and I thanked her silently.

“She’s not a stranger! She gave me a watch,” Gabby reminded me as she held her wrist up in the air with a proud smile. I rolled my eyes at my little, snobby sister.

“She had food so I let her in,” Trystan explained. Suddenly, Noa walked in with Rico. Mariana was already over since her and Gabby had a sleepover. For once, Noa didn’t complain about Kai’s presence. There was another bag of food, so Rico and Noa just dug in without a word. We all ate in awkward silence for a while.

“Your dad looks like Brad Pitt with darker hair,” Kai suddenly blurted. I nearly choked on the soda that I was sipping on. I swallowed hard and gave her a look.

“You met my father?”

“Yeah, he asked me who I was and I told him my name.” Kai chuckled a bit before continuing, “He thought I was your girlfriend. He told me to give him two grand and I could have your hand in marriage. I gave him two grand…not that I want to marry you or anything. I mean, he told me about his bet. So, I just gave it to him so he wouldn’t get into any trouble with anyone.” I stared at Kai with my mouth wide open. She gave my father two fucking grand. Was she crazy!? I guess she had enough money to just give away, but she didn’t even know him!

“Kai, can we talk…outside,” I asked a bit timidly. Kai nodded before standing up from the table. Noa gave me a look, but I got up from the table, too, and walked outside with the woman. I looked towards her sports car, but it wasn’t the same one as last night. It was a whole different model. I looked from her car back over to the girl. She was standing there with her hands stuffed into the pockets of her jeans and she was staring me straight into my eyes. I couldn’t hold the glare so I looked down at the porch. “I don’t need you supporting my family, Kai. Last night, you gave Gabby a watch, then you’re bringing us food, and you’re handing my Dad wads of cash…it isn’t right. I’m not bashing your generosity or anything. It’s just that, I don’t know you.”

“Then get to know me,” Kai said simply. I looked up at her and she gave me a bit of a smile. Her eyes twinkled a little and she scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. “I’m not as bad as people say. Sure, I’ve busted a couple heads, but I’ll put my hand on the Bible right now and testify that I’ve never actually killed someone…who didn’t deserve it. May have cut off a finger or two, but nothing fatal unless it was necessary.” I looked down at my hand and began playing with my fingers. She laughed before taking my hand in hers, and she kissed it softly. “I wouldn’t cut your finger off though. You’re way too beautiful to be hurt in any kind of way.” My cheeks flushed, and Kai let my hand go. “I have a proposition for you.” I looked at her a bit worriedly. “It’s obvious that you could use some extra money, and I have a bit of money that I wouldn’t mind giving away. There’s this formal dinner party that I have to go to tomorrow night. It’s hosted by one my associate drug cartel leaders. I have to be there or else blood might be shed. Point is, I need a leading lady on my arm and I think you’d make a perfect match.”