✰ 52

I knew it would take a while for Kai to get back to her normal self, but I wasn’t expecting it take a whole month. Throughout a month’s period, she had her good and bad days. Her bad days consisted of staring out into space for odd periods of time and getting aggravated by the smallest things. Good days, however, she was very talkative, nice and considerate. On her good days, she would help the kids with their homework, in which I learned that she was pretty good at math.

It was funny because Kai officially got out of her funk on Christmas. On Christmas Day, she woke me up in a very odd way. “Athena, wake up! Wake up,” I heard someone scream as they jumped up and down on my bed. I covered my face with the covers and grumbled. “It’s Christmas!” A body plopped down on me and I groaned. Slowly, I removed the covers from over my head to see Kai smiling at me. She had already gotten ready for the day and she had the hugest, cutest grin on her face. That’s when I knew she was better. I hadn’t seen her smile like that in what seemed like ages. “We have to wake up the kids!”

Usually, the kids weren’t excited about Christmas. They didn’t get much and neither did I. Christmas money was usually put into a nice Christmas dinner. We’d spend the day watching Christmas movies, and enjoying each other’s company, but presents were rare. “Well, aren’t you happy,” I said with a smile. I looked into Kai’s eyes to see bags under them. It looked like she got little to no sleep, but she seemed so damn happy. Maybe she spent the night realizing that it wasn’t her fault that her parents died. I wasn’t sure, and I wasn’t going to ask.

“Hurry up and get dressed,” she yelled at me as she urged me to get up. I looked over to the alarm clock to see it was seven in the morning.

“Baby, it’s way too early.”

“It’s never too early to open Christmas presents,” Kai reasoned. I raised a brow up at Kai. She got us presents? I’ve never heard her talk about Christmas shopping, or seen her go out or come back in with any bags. “I did some last minute shopping all last night,” she admitted. “I think I’m me again,” she said simply.

I laughed a bit, and repeated her. “I think I’m me again.”

“Hey, don’t pick on me! I got you a really nice present so get your ass up!”

I poked out my lower lip at her, “But I don’t wanna…”

“Well, you’re gonna,” Kai said as she got up from the bed. She grabbed my leg and pulled me right onto the floor.

“Kai!”

“Now, you have to get up,” she said as she smiled proudly. I wanted to yell at her so bad, but she was so cute and happy. Instead of yelling, and possibly ruining Christmas Day and Kai’s happiness, I got up to my feet and began searching for something to wear. “I’ll start waking up the kids, okay?” I gave her a nod and she gave me a kiss on the cheek before exiting the room.

As I walked down the staircase, all I could hear was Christmas music and constant chatter. When I fully got down the stairs, I nearly had a heart attack. There was a huge Christmas tree in the living room that was decorated beautifully with ornaments and Christmas lights. Presents were under the tree, beside the tree, and over the whole damn living room. The kids were shaking gifts with their names on it in anticipation. I guess they were all waiting for me. “There goes Athena,” Lauren yelled. “Can we please open our gifts now, Kai!?”

“Have at it,” Kai said with a smile on her face. Everyone began to look through their presents. Ryker opened presents for not only for himself, but for Matty also. I went to sit beside Kai on the couch. “What are you doing? You have gifts, too, angel,” she said as she pointed over to other gifts under the tree.