✰ 16

Even though Franco’s little joke was sick and overly uncalled for, it made me realize something. Some people were demented and mostly demented people wanted me dead. They lurked in the shadows, thinking that I didn’t know, but I did. I’m always careful about my surroundings, and I know just about everything that happens behind my back. Lucky for me, I was just as demented as the people who wanted me dead. Whatever they would try to do to me, I could do to them ten times worse. That’s why most people didn’t try to step to me. They would plot, but never follow through with their plan. They knew how powerful I was. With King in negotiation with me, I was even more powerful. Two of the best cartels together? We could burn the whole entire city of Chicago to the ground. Though King upgraded my power in the game, he also made me more dangerous. What if someone like ‘Felix’ actually came and tried to set me up with an ultimatum like that? Most notorious leaders that I looked up to from the past, would pass him up and take a risk, but I couldn’t do that. Not if I didn’t want Athena or anyone she associated with to get hurt.

With Franco’s prank, I decided that I needed to be more careful. I was always attentive, but now I needed to step up a level. Anywhere I went for now on, I was going to have someone accompany me. From Phoenix, to Jett, to Jamal, to James, to even Porky, I wasn’t going anywhere with anyone without some backup. I needed someone in the shadows for me, rather than against me. “This steak is tough,” Phoenix said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked up from my plate that was barely even touched. We were all sitting at the table, even Porky. James and Jett had decided to join us, and a couple other dealers that I didn’t know the name of. They were familiar faces though. I trusted them. Jamal shrugged off Phoenix’s comment as he continued to eat. “What’s up with you, Kai? You’re pretty quiet. Don’t tell me that Franco still has you spooked.” Everyone laughed. Franco had been telling everyone that came in about his joke. To be an ex-drug lord, he was definitely friendly and kind. I hoped that I could be like him when I became his age, if I ever get the chance to get that old.

“The joke was funny, but I think we need to be more careful. Most specifically me.” Everyone became quiet and they stared at me expectedly. Porky’s hand shook as he took a sip of his water. “Jett, Jamal, James, Phoenix, you’re all being promoted. No more selling drugs on the streets. You’re all close friends of mine, so I want you close. Anywhere I go, you go. If I go out to take a walk at night, one of you are going to come with me. Hell, if I go on a date with Athena, I want you guys at a distance that you can’t be seen but at the same time at a distance that we’re both secure. Porky, you’re a bitch; but I can’t continue to punish you for losing profit. I’m wealthy. A million dollars isn’t shit to me. I’m promoting you also. Instead of sitting around the house, and being miserable all day, Jamal is going to train you. You’re going to learn how to shoot a gun, how to fight, and how to protect me. After training, and a while of proving your worth, I will allow you to see your family and friends face-to-face, but you have to prove my trust and your ability first. Got it?” The boy quickly nodded, his blond locks shaking furiously.

I looked over at Franco who had a bit of a smile on his face. “You’re intelligent,” he said as he gave me a nod. “If you want to keep you, and that girl safe, this is your best bet. James, Jamal, Jett and Phoenix are the best of our crew from selling drugs, to aiming a gun. They can train Porky, or whoever he is, into being a clean, mean machine.” I smiled a bit. Thankful that Franco was pleased with my decision. He knew his way around this game, better than anyone I knew. If he was confident about my decision, then I had nothing to feel discouraged about. “You guys heard her. Wherever she goes, you go. Don’t get too close. Be at least a few yards away from her. If someone was to ambush, you all would be dead. When she’s with her girl, or anyone else, keep your distance. Don’t disturb them unless they’re in danger.”

“Kai, you’ve been my best friend for years. I’d never let anyone hurt you, and I don’t think anyone in our crew would. You’re a bit rough around the edges, but you give us fair cuts and you treat us as if we’re not just fuck-ups who can’t get a decent job,” Phoenix said before taking a sip from his beer. “I commend you.”