✰ 21

My heart thumped as I ran down the corridor of the hospital to my little brother. Ryker and I had been together all of his life. I remembered Dad and Mom bringing him home, and how excited I was to have a baby brother. Little did I know was that more was to come, and I was going to be left to take care of all of them. Life was simpler back then. Just Ryker and I. He could always bring a smile to my face, and after losing mom, I knew I couldn’t lose a sibling. I’d feel like it was my fault. Even though, it wasn’t meant to be my job, it was my responsibility to make sure my younger siblings were raised correctly. What if I’m not doing it right? What if Ryker is seriously hurt, or in critical condition? The worst case scenarios kept coming to my head. I kept picturing him unconscious or badly beaten.

Who would hurt Ryker? Sure, he had a smart mouth but at the same time he was charming. Maybe he mouthed off to a bunch of thugs or maybe he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn’t care what he did to get shot, I just wanted him to be okay. I held Kai’s hand tightly as we finally reached his room. Kai nodded for me to open the door, and I pushed it open. As soon as we walked in, we heard an insanely annoying laugh come from a television. “Whoa, you guys made it just in time. It’s the episode where Spongebob and Patrick try to sell chocolate!” I took a sigh of relief and looked over at Kai who was chuckling. “Why’re you so pale, Athena?”

“I was worried about you, asshole,” I yelled as I walked up to his bedside. “You didn’t make it to dinner. You weren’t answering my calls, and then I got a call saying that you were shot.” Ryker chuckled and took a sip of his apple juice. “It’s not funny,” I told him as I scanned his body for any injuries. There was a bandage wrapped around his forearm.

Ryker looked down at his arm and rolled his eyes. “It’s nothing. Bullet went in and came right back out. No big deal. It was just a bit of a burning. Nothing a Merrick can’t handle. You know Uncle Joey was shot fourteen times and lived. I think we’re immortal. You ever notice the only people that die are on Mom’s side of the family and not Dad’s. I mean-“

“Shut the fuck up and explain why the hell someone shot you!”

“Dude, you’re going to be so badass now. Wait, until I tell everyone at school that my older brother was shot,” Trystan said as he looked at Ryker’s bandage. He pressed on it as he looked at Ryker, “Does this hurt?”

“You fucking little-yes, it hurts!” Kai pulled Trystan away from Ryker as the little boy laughed. For some reason, Kai still seemed worried. I didn’t know why. Ryker was fine and his normal self. I just wanted to know how and why he was shot.

“So, tell us what happened,” Lauren prodded and I nodded in agreement.

“Well, uh,” Ryker glanced over at Kai and then looked down. “I-“

“I gave him drugs to sell,” Kai said quickly. Everyone looked at Kai with surprise, including me. What did she mean that she gave Ryker drugs to sell? “He wanted some money, and-“

“Before you get mad at her, Athena, I offered. She didn’t want to do it, but-”

“I don’t give a fuck, Ryker! The fact is that she gave you drugs to sell! I don’t care if you begged her to let you do it, she shouldn’t have never let you sell anything!” I was fuming at the moment. How could Kai do that? She knew that I wouldn’t be fine with any of the kids selling any drugs but yet she gave Ryker some to sell. Most importantly, it was her fault that he was in the hospital and that he was shot. He could’ve died tonight and it would’ve all been her fault. “Everyone give your phones back to Kai, and say goodbye. I don’t think you’ll be seeing her anymore.”

“Wait, she gave you guys iPhones,” Ryker asked as he sat up. I pushed him back down and gave him a stern look. He wasn’t off the hook either. He knew better than to sell drugs. I watched as Kai took the phones back from the kids with a solemn look on her face, but I didn’t care if she was upset. She brought it upon herself.