✰ 40

The next morning, I woke up in Kai's arms. She stayed over my place after we got the news that I had a new little sister. Well, she wasn't exactly a little sister. She was eighteen, and legally an adult. Sage was way more endowed in certain areas than me, and she was just a bit shorter. I admit, me and my siblings didn't do a good job of welcoming her. Last night, Trystan and Lauren teamed up together to prank her constantly. They would trip her when she walked by and even poured a pitcher of water on her head when she sat on the couch. Gabby insulted her style, and told her that she dressed horribly to be a rich girl. Felix irked her about whether she had some of her Aunt Cheryl's money away. Alec and Ryker just plain ignored her, like she didn't exist, and so did I. There really wasn't much to say. I know it wasn't her fault that she was so fortunate, but of course it still bothered me. It bothered all of us. We all wished we were in her shoes.

I removed Kai's arm from around my waist, and slowly sat up. Kai grumbled in her sleep and turned on her side. A smile spread across my face. She was so adorable when she slept. Kanye was sleeping on the edge of the bed as like the good little puppy he was. Slowly, I got out of bed. I decided to get ready for the day and prepare breakfast since it was so early. The kids wouldn't be up until at least an hour later, and Kai was out cold. When I got ready, I jogged down the stairs and swung open the refrigerator door. I heard a groan and looked down at the floor. I had hit my father in the head with the lower end of the door. I didn't even see him lying down on the floor, but even if I did, I probably would've hit him with the door either way. The groan ceased, and snoring began once again. Slamming the refrigerator door, I put my hands on my hips and huffed. How the hell was I going to cook with an asshole in my way? I kicked my sh-tty father in the side, and he began mumbling curse words. His eyes opened, and he sat up to lean against the refrigerator door. His nose was still bloody from Kai had him yesterday afternoon. I frowned at how disgusting it was. Dark blood was dried under his nostrils and around his mouth.

Dad pointed a finger at me and wagged it. "Why don't you clean your father up? I'm nothing but an old fart. I know that, Athena. I haven't done sh-t for you or any of these f-cking kids. I don't even know the youngest one's name." I rolled my eyes at my father and watched as he slowly got onto his feet. "I'm a piece of sh-t and it's too late to change so clean me up."

"Yeah, I think you're capable of cleaning up yourself. Better yet, why don't you wake Sage up and ask her to do it," I suggested as I pushed the dirty man out of the kitchen. Instantly, I walked over to the sink to wash my hands. There was no telling what my dad had been doing last night, or even this morning. He probably spent most of the night sleeping on the streets. Dad began mumbling something about not being respected, but I tuned him out. I turned on the old radio and put on some upbeat tunes to block out all thoughts of my Dad and Sage. Neither of them were worth my time. I grabbed a pack of sausages and bacon and threw them on the counter.

"Wow, someone has an attitude. Seems like we're going to have a very salty breakfast." I rolled my eyes and turned to face Ryker who had a playful smile on his face. His mischievous dimples became apparent as he walked past me to the sink. He washed his hands, but then started running the sausages under hot water. "Need some help?"

"Since when did you learn how to cook," I asked him with an eyebrow raised as I grabbed two cartons of eggs from the fridge.

"My girl is teaching me some things. I got the sausage and the bacon. You can take of the rest," he said with a shrug as he grabbed a griddle from a cabinet. "Dating is weird, man. You have to stay committed to one person. That person expects you not to look at other people, not to touch other people and not even to think about other people. But at the same time, it's like so many people want you. Athena, am I not a handsome, young man?" Ryker turned to look at me and I chuckled. "Seriously?"