✰ 43

The camping grounds wasn’t so bad. Johnathan had picked a nice spot for us all to set up camp. There were a few trees, so at night we could look up at the stars, and we also didn’t have to worry about bugs falling on us from the trees. When Harper and I arrived, everyone was there. People were standing around talking by the fire, just as if it was the cooler in the office. Some people came overly prepared with their hiking boots, huge backpacks, and collections of mosquito repellant sprays. Others came a bit, too unprepared. Some people barely had a handful of things with them, including clothes. I guess they were going for the real camping experience. The best part of where we were located was that there was a station seeing distance away. The station included a couple of bathrooms and showers. It was nice to know that I didn’t have to walk too far away to get cleansed.

As soon as Johnathan saw us, he assigned us as camping buddies since everyone was already paired up. We were given a tent and a booklet of vague instructions. Harper grabbed the tent from me and smirked. “I’ve got this,” she said cockily. “Just read out the instructions.” After a while of ‘just reading the instructions’, we both found out that Harper was terrible at setting up a tent. Everyone else was already hanging out, and doing activities, and we were still trying to get our tent set up. The sun was starting to set, and the fire was getting more vibrant. Soon, we’d be left with hardly any light to set up the tent. “Give me the damn instructions,” Harper said frustrated, as she looked down at the booklet. I put my hands on my hips as I saw her read the directions. She still had no idea what she was doing.

“Just let me do it,” I said as I pushed her out of the way. I took the booklet from her, and simply began following the instructions. After about ten minutes, I had the tent set up and ready to lie in. Harper was seething from annoyance, and I tried not to laugh at her. I did what she was trying to do for three hours, in only ten minutes. “Now, what was so hard about that,” I asked her with my eyebrows raised. She grumbled something under her breath before there was a sudden yell. At first it scared me, but then I realized it was Johnathan. He was signaling everyone to go and sit by the fire for dinner. The smell of food had been present for an hour or so, and I admit it smelled delicious. With Harper, I went and sat down at a log that was positioned around the fire. She was still grumbling about the whole tent situation. I nudged her with my elbow and she slowly shut up.

Johnathan, along with his assistant, Sarah began passing out mugs and spoons. My stomach grumbled as the smell of food became more apparent in the air. “The fuck is this,” I heard Harper mumble when she was given her mug and spoon. I peeked into her mug to see a brownish liquid with cheese and lettuce on top. “Is this diarrhea with cheese on top? No way am I eating this.”

 I was given my hot mug and spoon from Sarah. She rolled her eyes at Harper’s disgust. “It’s Turkey Black Bean Chili, and it’s very good. Just try it. There’s diced tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, black beans and turkey in it. Also, it has a lot of fiber, so no one should worry about being constipated.” I frowned up my face and looked down at the soup. It smelled delicious and it looked a bit delicious as well. “If you don’t like it, we always have hotdogs,” Sarah said with a slight smile before moving onto the next person. Harper and I both looked at each other.

I shrugged my shoulders and inserted a spoonful of the chili into my mouth. The taste caught me off guard at first, but soon, I was eating the food uncontrollably. “I take that as it’s good,” Harper asked. I gave her a firm nod. She gave me a frown, but slowly tasted the chili. Her eyes widened once she tasted it. “Shit, it really is good.”

“I told you that you’d like it,” Sarah said as she sat down beside Johnathan who was terribly strumming a guitar. “So, now that we’re enjoying supper. Maybe we should take turns telling ghost stories.”