✰ 3

Kai escorted me out of the club and back out into the cool Chicago air. It was mid-October, and I was so happy that it was finally sweater weather. I couldn’t wait to dress comfortable in a little hoodie, sweater, or jacket. Also, I couldn’t wait to bring out my boots. Well, I only had one pair, and they were pretty worn; but I loved them. I just loved fall and winter. They both were my favorite seasons. You have the three best holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. What more could you ask for?

Walking out, I could see some people still wandering outside of the club looking frightened. There was no sight of Noa and I wasn’t exactly upset about that. She always said that if anything went down while we were in public, then it was every woman for herself. If there was a mall shooting, she always told me that I’d have to fend for myself. One of us needed to stay alive to keep the kids fed. Everyone gave me weird looks. I guess it was because I was walking right beside a notorious leader of a drug cartel, but I’d like to think it was because they enjoyed my dress. I mean, let’s face it, I was rocking my tight, little dress and heels. Sure, my thighs were cold because of the air, but at least I looked good.

I walked with Kai out to the almost vacant parking lot. There was only a few cars in the lot: a minivan, an old Toyota, a hybrid, and a sports car of some kind. Kai began walking towards the jet black sports car which was hardly visible in the night. The girl unlocked the car with her keypad and then proceeded to get the door for me. I watched in awe at the suicide door. I’ve never seen anything so fancy. The car’s interior was all black just like its exterior. It looked so good that I didn’t even want to get in it, but I did and Kai closed the door behind me. Surprisingly, the car didn’t reek of drugs or anything like that, it just had that fresh new car smell. I inhaled the inviting scent. I’m not used to new nor luxurious things. So, all of this felt like a dream. The leather seats, the fancy gadgets, the smell of the car, the feel of the car, and the sleekness of the car was so refreshing. It was way better than taking the bus or the L.

Kai pushed a button and the beautiful car came to life. “Put on your seatbelt,” she said to me before giving me a soft smile. I laughed and felt a bit embarrassed, but I secured myself with the seatbelt. The girl reached in the waistband of her jeans, and pulled out the automatic pistol that she was just pointing at the guy in the nightclub. “Can you put this in the glove compartment for me,” she asked. I stared down at the gun that was in her hands and gulped. It wasn’t exactly the thought of holding a gun that made me nervous but it was her fingers. It may sound silly, but I’ve never seen someone who had such attractive fingers. They were so long and slim. “Don’t worry, it’s not going to hurt you…unless you pull the trigger.” She gave me a smirk and I took the gun from her. It was heavier than I expected, and my hands were a bit shaky since I was so nervous around her. She just had this sexy, mysterious aura that made me nervous.

Kai began backing out of the parking lot, and I opened up her glove compartment. I gasped when I saw what was in there. There was about four wads of cash wrapped in rubber bands. I had never seen so much money in my life. My fingers itched just to have one of them, but I wasn’t the begging nor stealing type. Things had to be rough for me to take something that didn’t belong to me, and even though my family wasn’t doing the best, things weren’t so bad that I had to risk my life by stealing money from a cold-hearted drug dealer. Slowly, I put the gun in the glove compartment, and closed it up. “So, where do you live,” the raspy, and extremely fucking sexy voice asked me.

I bit my lower lip. Should I tell her my address? I mean, she’s bad news. She could drop me off home tonight, and then come raid my place tomorrow, even though my family had nothing that she’d want. Not only did I not want to tell her my address because I was scared she would come back and hurt me, but I also didn’t want to give her my address because honestly, I was ashamed. Here she was in her fancy clothes in her fancy car with wads of money in her glove department. And then there was me, classic white trash from the ghetto. She’d probably laugh at me when she saw my house. I began to open my mouth to tell a lie, but I decided against it. I didn’t feel like walking from the suburbs in the cold, all the way back to place. “Englewood.”